S2 E3: Fire And Ice

Edited January 1, 2022

***

"Miguel? Ah, there's my favorite brother," I said, sitting beside him. 

"Did you know Johnny is Robby's dad?" he asked me. I shot up from my spot. 

"Yes?" I eyed him, weirdly. He huffed. "Chill, Miggy. It's not a big deal--" 

"Not a big deal? He's the competition?" he said, and I looked at him, with a scoff. 

"Yeah, and I guess I am too?" I said, walking out of his room. 

"No! I didn't mean it like that--Mila!" 

When I got the dojo with Vinnie, Sam and Robby we already there, practicing. 

"Remember, keep moving in a circle," Sam told him when she beat him. 

"You know, I did make it to the All Valley finals." Robby said, amused. 

"That's cause you didn't have to get through me!" Sam teased him. Robby chuckled. 

"Listen, I wanna thank you," Robby said. 

"For what?" 

"Last week, I had no hot water. This week, I have a Jacuzzi in my backyard." Robby said, as if it were simple to figure out. 

"Well, I wouldn't get too excited. We did find a dead possum in there." the two laughed. 

"Seriously. Thank you." Robby said. "It's been a little rough lately, and it's nice to have people look out for you." 

"That's what friends do." Sam shrugged. 

"Not all friends," Robby replied. Something about the way he looked at her made my stomach churn. They hadn't even noticed us standing there yet. I cleared my throat. 

"Hey, guys." I said, pretending I wasn't overthinking. 

"Hey, beautiful," Robby said, kissing my cheek. Something was different when he greeted me today, but I ignored it. 

"Yo, shortie," Vinnie wrapped his arm around Sam, who rolled her eyes. "Robby, what's up, man?" he fist bumped Robby, catching Sam and I off-guard. We laughed at each other, 

"All-right guys, enough chitchat. Let's see where you're at," Mr. LaRusso cut us off, joining us. I did a double take when I saw two people walk into the yard. Mr. LaRusso saw them too, beginning to talk to them. 

"You want us to paint your fence?" one asked. 

"Keep an open-mind guys, it'll all make sense later," Robby assured them. 

"In order to fully learn Miyagi-Do karate, you have to unlearn your misconceptions about what constituted training," Mr. LaRusso said. 

"I knew this was bullshit. This was all just some scam to get kids to do your yard work, huh?" the other kid said, and I scoffed. 

"No, no, this is part of the process."

"Right. The 'process.' My mom was right. With car salesmen, you always gotta read the fine print." the other boy said. Sam and I exchanged a look. 

"I'm not trying to sell you anything. I'm trying to teach you karate," Mr. LaRusso said, as if he had to explain himself. 

"Come on. Let's go check out that place with the snake," the boy said to his friends. 

"What a bunch of losers," I snorted. Mr. LaRusso gave me a look that made me close my mouth. 

*