016. UNWANTED SOLITUDE

UNWANTED SOLITUDE
YOU

UNWANTED SOLITUDE was a curse, never a blessing, just a plain curse

UNWANTED SOLITUDE was a curse, never a blessing, just a plain curse. That is what Penelope Brooks had decided, unwanted solitude was nothing but a thorn in her side. She was at a crossroad in her life, missing her best friend who might have been lying to her, whilst wanting to believe her but also not betray the boy who she loved- just a plain curse.

A day of celebration had become a day of mourning for Penelope, her birthday luncheon in full swing but the main person who she wanted there was absent. Jo March no where to be seen. People from all over town where invited, a locally renowned author who Tobias knew even showed up for the occasion- Penelope only extending the invite to him for Jo to meet him. Now he was standing along with nobody to talk to, she almost felt guilty for inviting him. 

Three of the March sisters were scattered around Penelope's front garden making conversation with other guests, Beth sticking close to Meg as she spoke with Mr Brookes and a small gathering of other people. Thomas Johnson and Peter making awkward small talk over near the buffet, painful to watch her past lover and current try to quietly establish dominance over the other. 

Penelope was tired of standing on her own on her big day, if she was going to wallow, she would do so in private. So she left the back garden and made her way through the hallowed halls of her home and sat on her front porch in silence, birds softly fluttering past with their flock, making Penelope feel more alone now than ever. 

"Happy Birthday," Penelope quickly looked up, brushing off the need to rub her eyes or pinch herself to confirm this as a dream.

"Jo," Penelope stood up, "What're you doing here?"

"Well I haven't seen you in two weeks, I thought I would at least come and say happy birthday," Jo crossed her arms, not wanting Penelope to have the full satisfaction of her being there.

"What happened to your hair?" The look on Penelope's face made Jo want to curl up into a ball and recoil, something she had never felt the desire to do before.

"I cut it," 

"Well I can see that," Penelope almost laughed, "It looks great,"

Jo whispered a small thank you. 

"So..." Penelope lead, taking a singular step off of the porch, "Is it true?" 

Confusion washed over Jo. "Is what true?"

"Don't play daft with me Jo March, you are the most clever person I know." Penelope scoffed, stopping herself from turning away, "Please do not lie to me,"

"Penny I-"

"Peter told me what you did,"

"Peter?! Well did Peter tell you that I found him rummaging around your jewellery box just the other week?" Jo spat out, angrily marching up to the steps of the Brooks house.

"Jo, I don't understand what makes you think Peter would ever do that, he is already extremely wealthy and does not need anything from my family!" 

"And I do?!" Jo yelled, silence filled the outside air. Heavy with anticipation for Penelope's response, but it never came. Social status was never something that Jo believed Penny would judge others for, but apparently, she was wrong.

"I would never take anything from you- anything, Penelope," Her full name, the first time it ever fell from Jo's lips. "So please, check my home, my coats, anything you wish, but I know that I didn't take anything from you." Tears slowly welled up in Jo's eyes as her voice became thick with despair.

"Jo-"

"Please, spare me the breath," She scoffed, a tear falling. "But once you've figured out who truly cares about you and only for you- not your belongings, you know where to find me," She turned away, wrapping her overcoat around her tightly, leaving Penelope right back where she started- in a pit of unwanted solitude.