Chapter Twenty: Promises

Thell swallowed. "What does it mean to you, then?"

"I don't know..." Din paused. "I've never had the opportunity to think about it... what about you? What about now?"

Maybe it was because she was desperate to know if he loved her too, or maybe it was because she hadn't seen him in two weeks, amidst the pain and torture she had endured.

"Now... I mean every word. Every last one, a hundred times over."" Thell promised, and she knew she had never felt anything more true.

Din whimpered softly and bent forward, cupping the back of her head and pressing his lips to her's, catching the sob that escaped his throat. Thell weeped against him, hand shaking as she cradled his head, running her fingers through his hair. Parting her lips with his, he shifted against the bed, freeing her other hand and letting it wander down his back. It felt like she hadn't kissed him in years, deprived of it like oxygen or food, and he was kissing her back in the same way, making small, desperate sounds as his hands cupped her cheeks, running up and down her face.

He was crying; Thell could tell when a drop splattered on her cheek, but she made no motion to wipe it away. She didn't want to embarrass him if he felt vulnerable. Instead, she pushed against him, getting him to lay halfway on his back and break the kiss. She moved her hands up his face, thumbs swiping under his eyes and leaning forward to kiss away his tears. Stubbled scratched against her chin, but she didn't mind. She could only gently rub her nose along the bridge of his, gifting him with several soft kisses on his lips that left her head spinning. She could feel him smiling, despite the tears, when she would press her cheek to his. His hands traveled to her sides, running up and down and pulling her forward to kiss him again. He tasted like the salt from their intermingled tears, and smelled like the pine trees outside and the mild soap from the Razor Crest.

At one point she pulled away and pressed her cheek to his again, feeling his stubble scratch her face.

"I like kissing you," she whispered.

And he chuckled below her, deep in his throat and vibrating across her chest. Thell wanted to hear him laugh like that for the rest of her life.

"I do, too."

"You know, when I was younger and I would see someone kissing, I thought it was the grossest thing," Thell admitted. "But now... It's not too bad. Not with you."

His hands came up, rough pads of his fingers running down her face and jaw to only pull her forward again.

After a while of soft, slow kissing, and after their share of tears had vanished, Din pulled Thell close, letting her rest her head in the crook of his shoulder while he cuddled her. He let one arm slide under her neck, cupping her head so he could tangle his fingers in her hair. He was oddly quiet, even more so than usual.

"You okay?" She whispered, tracing a finger around his covered collarbone.

He huffed above her ear. "I feel like I should be asking you that."

"You just haven't said anything in, like... an hour," Thell added.

"Well, I was too busy kissing you, kar'ta. Guess I'm not too shabby, right?"

Thell smiled. She had missed this side of him. '"Not too bad... I wasn't bad, was I?"

She felt him shake his head, pressing a gentle kiss to her temple. "Never... But I'm okay I'm glad we could, uh, be like this together."

"Me too... But I miss him," Thell admitted. "I feel like part of me is gone."

"I'm gonna get him back, Thell," he whispered huskily above her head.