CHAPTER 23

Fears and passion

From the top of the rampart, the company watched Bard speedily away on horseback.

The concern and disapproval of Thorin's decision was evident on Arya's face, who leaned against the cold stone between Fili and Kili. The blond, noticing her state of mind, took her hand sympathetically, while his brother, put a hand on her shoulder, letting out a sight. All three youngsters had thought the same thing: it was a foolish choice!

"What are you doing? You cannot go to war."

Bilbo exclaimed behind them, addressing the sovereign.

"This does not concern you."

He replicated quietly, looking down on him.

"Excuse me, but just in case you haven't noticed, there is an army of Elves out there. Not to mention several hundred angry fishermen. We...we are in fact outnumbered."

The hobbit pointed out with a sarcastic tone.

"Not for much longer."

Thorin replied, as a slight smirk appeared on his lips.

"What does that mean?"

Bilbo then asked, confused.

"It means, Master Baggins, you should never underestimate Dwarves."

The King asserted solemnly.

"We have reclaimed Erebor. Now we defend it."

He continued, turning to the rest of the company, and then descended from the bastion.
Arya was no longer able to restrain herself, she let go of Fili's hand and hurried to follow the sovereign down the stairs. Once she got to the bottom, she stood and called his name.

"Thorin! Thorin, this is madness!"

Hearing her cry, the dwarf stopped walking, but he did not look at her.

"You gave those people your word! You promised them you would have helped them in their hour of need, you swore on your honor! We swore it, Thorin, I vouched for you. Now they need help and you're turning your back on them! "

The woman went on with ardour. The King eventually turned, and took a few steps in her direction.

"Yes, it was nobly done, and I am truly grateful, but the treasure in this Mountain does not belong to the people of Lake-town. This gold is ours, and ours alone. With my life I will not part with a single coin. Not one piece of it."

He stated firmly.

"All of you! To the armory! Now!"

He then ordered the dwarves, who had followed the conversation from above.

Arya moved quickly towards one of the side corridors: she needed to be alone for a while, she would not have been able to endure that atmosphere for much longer.
Fili and Kili rushed down the stairs to reach her, but a voice behind them stopped their running.

"Let her be. Let her go."

Bilbo told them, sighing. The two brothers listened to him and watched the woman disappear, swallowed by the shadow of the tunnel, before following their companions to the armory.

Arya slowed down only when she was sure to be far enough from the dwarves. She had no idea where she was and she didn't know where she was going, but as long as she stayed away from Thorin and his madness, she was fine. How could he have become so greedy, so stingy, so insensitive? How could he not notice the suffering and despair of the people of Laketown, or the sorrow of his own kin in seeing him in that state of mind? At the moment, all he cared about was his beloved gold. He was ready to go to war to defend his treasure, regardless of the consequences. He was endangering the lives of his friends, of his nephews, only for bloody coins! Lives that, by the way, were already at risk: another war was brewing, but he was too blind to see it.