48 || praimfaya

SOON AFTER BELLAMY AND I HAD OUR LITTLE CHAT, HE AND CLARKE, ALONG WITH MURPHY AND HIS GIRLFRIEND, EMORI, SET OFF FOR THE ISLAND TO RESCUE RAVEN. In the meantime, I was with Octavia in one of the rooms above the rotunda, getting cleaned up. I was still covered head-to-toe in dirt, grime, ash and blood. 

While Octavia braided my hair and I adjusted my armor, we listened to the commotion of the happenings outside. Kane, as the ambassador of Skaikru was trying to break the news to his people that only 100 of them were going to survive Praimfaya.

"Where did you learn how to do that?" I asked as Octavia tied off the final braid of the intricate style she had put my hair into. There were braids from either side of my head weaving into one that went down my back. 

"Lincoln," She replied quietly, smoothing a hand over my hair. I offered a sad smile to her in the mirror, before our moment was cut short by the sounds of shouting and fighting outside. As we exited the room to see what was happening, we witnessed some of the Sky People shove Niylah against a wall and throw her to the floor. 

Not having any weapons on me, I grabbed a sword that belonged to one of the guards stationed outside the room Octavia and I had just emerged from. As Octavia shoved the man who had attacked Niylah, I held my sword to his throat. "Niylah, you're with us," I said to her as Octavia placed a hand on her shoulder and led her to stand behind me. I looked to the rest of the Sky People, speaking loud and clear so they could all hear me. "You now have one less spot to fill."

"Miss Roberts, please," Jaha pleaded. "You girls can stop this. You're one of us."

I scrunched my expression into one of confusion. "We're one of you?" I scoffed, jumping down to stand at the same level as Jaha. "You threw me in a cell to rot as a six year old. You floated my parents. You made Octavia hide under the floor for 15 years."

"Floated my mother, too," She added with an icy glare. 

"I'm not afraid of you anymore," I glared up at the man, the crowd parting for the two of us to walk through to the other side. "You can tell them, O." 

Octavia nodded in compliance before turning around to the crowd. "Every other clan has chosen their survivors. Every other clan. Skaikru is no different. You have until midnight to choose."

I stepped forward to add my own statement. "If this nonsense has still continued by midnight, then none of you will live."

I met eyes with Kane on the other side of the crowd, who's expression was full of fear and worry. I resisted saying anything else, turning on my heel and letting Octavia follow me out of the room to where the guards had taken Niylah to protect her and get her ice for the wound on her head. 

"You okay?" Octavia asked the woman who was crouched, leaning against a bed frame. 

Niylah nodded. "Thank you," She looked between us. "Both of you. I'll never forget what you did for me." 

"Commander," Indra entered the room, two guards trailing behind her. "A word?"

I nodded, stepping toward the woman. "Your duties as Commander have just begun. Wonkru expect you to lead them."

"What if I can't do it, Indra? I didn't win a conclave. I'm not a true Commander," I replied worriedly, speaking the thoughts that had been plaguing my mind all week. 

"You won the challenge," Indra replied. "Besides, you are not alone."

I realised that she was right. I wasn't going to be alone in this. I had her. I had Octavia. Gaia, Miller, Clarke, Bellamy, Raven. I'm not alone. And I knew exactly the person I wanted right by my side in leading these people.