Best Friends Forever

"I have just one more letter to write, and then we could go for a walk or something? Perhaps on the grounds?" Sirius nodded and then noticed her record collection.

"You like muggle artists as well?" Athena nodded.

"Muggles tend to have excellent taste in music." Sirius flashed her a wolffish grin before digging into the records to see what was there. Athena began writing.

Tonks,

Well, I'm afraid you were right and I should have accepted Charlie Weasley's proposal several years back as I have been, of course, affected by the Ministry's new Marriage Law. Alas, don't feel too disappointed as my new husband is actually quite close with your dear Remus. And you, as it turns out. You've read correctly, I'm to marry Sirius Black. As I know that you're completely flabbergasted, I'll give you time to process this information. Perhaps we can meet in Hogsmeade in a few weeks? Write me back to confirm.
Fuck off,
Your Best Friend

Giggling, Athena sealed both letters into seperate envelopes and whistled softly for the owl waiting on the windowsill.

"Take this to Nymphadora Lupin first, and then this one back to my mum." She gave the owl both letters and a treat before turning to Sirius. "If you're done, I'd love that walk now." He nodded, standing from his position on the floor and waved his wand, putting all of the records back into their places.

Out on the grounds, the two conversed lightly, bringing up simple topics like their time at Hogwarts and their friends. Athena chuckled at some of his stories and the elaborate pranks that he and his friends had pulled off. She even giggled at the mentions of many a broom closet snog. She, on the other hand, had been the complete opposite. Quite shy and quiet, the hufflepuff had soared through Hogwarts with the help of her two best friends, Tonks and Charlie Weasley. She even admitted that Charlie had proposed the year following graduation but she couldn't imagine living in Romania around all of the dragons, and had turned it down. Sirius found the girl in front of him slightly intriguing. He led her to a spot under a big tree and by the lake waters. They both sat, and continued speaking of light topics before they had to move on.

"We have, at most, a month before we have to get married, you know." She had said, throwing a small stick into the Black Lake. Sirius nodded.

"Did you have anything in mind?" She shook her head.

"I always had assumed that my mother would get her hands on my wedding before I ever could. She'd want everything light and bright, any bridesmaid dressed in pink, the groom perhaps in white dress robes? Who knows with her," Athena said, rolling her eyes and chuckling softly. "Did you ever have anything in mind?"

"Well, I think I'd look best in black. After that, I hadn't really thought of it." Athena studied his handsome face, taking note of the light lines across it.

"You never thought about getting married?"

"Absolutely not. Can't say that our society has ever taught us about marrying for love. I just assumed it wasn't for me."

"Marriage or love," She whispered nervously, playing with a leaf in her hands.

"Neither, I'm afraid." She nodded, pursing her lips slightly.

"I think I'd like to wear black as well. And I don't want anything too fussy. It should be simple. Just close friends and family, don't you think?" He chuckled.

"The 'Puff wants to wear black to her own wedding? People might think you're going to a funeral." She smirked.

"Of course not, we're pure-bloods. Quite well known for pulling off dramatic things." Sirius chuckled.

"That we are, love. That we are." They sat and talked for a little while longer, before they heard the clock tower chime.

"Come on-" He'd said, standing and brushing dirt off of himself before offering a hand to help her up. ""It should be about dinner time." Athena took his hand, allowing herself to be pulled up quickly. However, once up, neither released the other's hand, only loosened the hold. A light blush crossed Athena's face as she played with her fiancé's fingers lightly.

The Great Hall seemed quieter than normal when they entered, even with all of the students already seated. There were only two seats left at the teacher's table, next to each other and clearly meant for Athena and Sirius. The couple sat quickly, Athena trying to ignore the look she was currently receiving from her old head of house. Minerva stood, raising her hands to indicate silence.

"Classes are to begin tomorrow, students. Tuck in, and then go get some rest! Let the feast, begin!" With a small clap, food appeared on all tables. Athena looked out amongst the students, watching all of the couples curiously. She knew that so far, Sirius and herself had been quite lucky in getting along, but it couldn't last forever. She knew him to be a bit of a hot-tempered man, at least from her experience in the Order, and at some point, they were bound to irritate each other. Athena could also feel eyes on her from all around the Great Hall, she was certain that the rumors had finally spread to all of the students. She took a deep sigh and then a drink from her goblet.

"You alright there," Sirius asked, placing a hand gently on her shoulder. She shrugged it off and nodded, suddenly feeling like she was in a foul mood. A slight scowl crossed Sirius's handsome features before he turned and began talking to Hagrid on the other side of him.

"Perhaps we should have a quick meeting before bed Athena dear?" Pomona said from beside her. "Just like we used to?" Athena had always been one of Pomona's favorites, and they often met just to talk about how life was treating the younger woman. Athena nodded, thinking that perhaps conversation and a drink would ease some of her fears and worries.

The two women walked down towards Pomona's office quietly. Athena still seemed deep in thought, thoughts that her old head of house wasn't willing to interrupt. Once in the office, Pomona shut the door and busied herself pouring two small glasses of brandy.

"I'm assuming that you'll be needing some of this to speak freely," She said, handing the glass to Athena. A brief smile crossed the young woman's face before she took a sip. "Now, tell me what's going on in that brilliant little mind of yours."

"It just seems like a lot, doesn't it? And so soon after the war?" Pomona nodded.

"And you're worried about marrying Mr. Black, I'm assuming." Athena looked cross for only a second.

"He hasn't been awful so far, and of course, I knew him while we were both in the Order, but I can't help but wait for the other shoe to drop."

"And what's that supposed to mean, dearie," Pomona asked, sipping on her brandy.

"Well, it's not like either of us is that experienced in terms of relationships. What with him spending so long in Azkaban, and my entire young adulthood being spent caught in a war."

"You mustn't worry about such things, Athena. You're much more ready for this than you think. I know it's not the best of circumstances, but you should really make the best of it. You could have done much worse for a husband." Athena sighed deeply and downed the rest of the brandy.

"Well, I'd better get off to bed. Classes do start tomorrow after all, and I believe that I start with fourth year slytherins and gryffindors."

"Oh you poor dear. If you need to talk any more, or at least need another brandy, come on down. You're always welcome."