ten

10. The Sacrifice

Elena opened the front door of her house to see Stefan, Damon and Aria standing there.

"Hi, uh, can we talk?" Stefan asked.

"Why?" Elena asked confused.

"They went to see Katherine" Aria replied.

"Come on in" Elena said, letting the trio in to her house.

***

"You don't believe her, do you?" Elena asked the Salvatore brothers, after they told her about their interaction with Katherine, how she said that once they let her free, not only will she hand the moonstone over but will also leave Mystic Falls forever.

"I asked the same thing" Aria replied.

"No, of course not, we just want the moonstone" Damon said.

"According to Rose's friend Slater, there's a way to destroy the spell that Klaus wants to break" Stefan said.

"No spell, no doppelganger sacrifice, no Connor witch channeling, ergo, you and Aria live" Damon said.

"How do you destroy it?" Elena asked curiously.

"By releasing the spell from the moonstone" Aria replied, having already been filled in.

"How do you guys even know this is gonna work?" Elena asked, still very apprehensive.

"Because we have two crafty witches on our side" Damon replied.

"You discussed it with Bonnie and Aria" Elena realised.

"And both me and Bonnie agreed to do whatever it takes to help" Aria replied.

"It's Katherine who has the moonstone" Elena reminded, "She's not gonna give it you".

"We're gonna get it from her" Stefan assured.

"Well, what he means to say, is that we will pry it from her cold dead hand if we have to" Damon said.

"Bonnie and Aria just need to find a way to release the seal long enough, for us to get in, get the moonstone, and get out in time for them to return it" Stefan explained.

"Wow, I mean it sounds like you guys have it all planned out" Elena said.

"Yeah" Aria agreed, "And it's a pretty solid plan".

"Except for one thing" Elena said, "I don't want you to do it".

"Excuse me?" Aria asked, not sure if she heard Elena right.

"What are you talking about Elena, we don't have a choice" Stefan said.

"What about Klaus?" Elena asked.

"We'll find him right after we get the moonstone" Stefan replied.

"Is that before or after he kills everyone that I care about, including the three of you?" Elena snapped.