chapter 42

theo, blaise, and daphne assist in cleaning the bathroom. it doesn't take long with spells and all that, so it's only a few minutes before we're all standing around each other, wondering, what now?

"malfoy should get rest." daphne finally says. "i can get him dreamless sleep, got some stashed away— it'd be best to skip at least first period tomorrow, don't know if you have that free—"

"i don't." draco says flatly, "but that's no matter."

now that he's calmed down, he's back to his usual, fairly emotionless self. he's standing next to me still, hands tucked behind his back and expression straight, only moving to face whoever's talking.

i protest slightly in my head, knowing he's missed more classes than it's worth— but i reluctantly nod in agreement. daphne definitely has the best medical advice out of all of us (madam pomfrey teaches extra lessons, for those who want to be healers), so it's best to listen to her proposal.

"right." daphne nods. "i'll be back in a minute with the potion—" she begins explaining as she walks toward the door, "i'll have to watch you take it, of course, to make sure there's no issues in the reaction— it should be fine—"

"oh, well, i don't sleep in here." draco says, getting daphne to stop in her tracks and look back at him, brow furrowed. both theo and blaise are attempted to hold in smiles and laughs, looking at each other knowingly. daphne eyes fall onto me, and i immediately flush bright red.

"if you two have been shagging in the bed next to mine—"

"no!" i exclaim, already seeing the anger rising in her face and needing to get ahead of it. "we sleep in the room of requirement." her face just grows more confused. i groan, "remember after blaise's birthday, i told you.."

i trail off. obviously, everyone in this room knows what happened after blaise's birthday, but having a group discussion about it seems far less than ideal.

"there's a bed in there now." theo offers, saving me. "because that's where they sleep."

"yes." i nod, smiling gratefully. i look at draco quickly, noticing him still neutral and slightly shell-shocked. i wonder what's running through his mind, if he's still anxious or angry from our fight earlier. he doesn't seem affected by the panic, at least. his ability to hold a mask over his face makes it increasingly difficult to decipher his emotions.

but, he still wants to come back up our room, which is a good sign.

unless he just wants to fight some more.

i pray the dreamless sleep potion is fast-acting, because i don't want to find out.

"right, okay." daphne develops a small smirk, eyes flicking between draco and i. "isn't that on the seventh floor—? you know, i'll just give it to you down here, should last the way up. no way i'm walking 14 flights back and forth—"

"i've taken it before, i don't need assistance." draco says, sounding rather bored. he hardly even thanked any of us for helping him through the whole ordeal. typical, typical, typical.

daphne just gives him a nod and heads out of the room, saying she'll meet us in the common room on our way out.

"she's a good addition." blaise says thoughtfully, watching the door shut. "she should become a healer."

"she is. she takes lessons here," i say, giving him a funny look.

"she does?" all three of the boys exclaim at the same time, turning to look at me.

i sigh loudly, brushing my hands through my messed hair and scoffing at how oblivious boys can be.

"tuesday nights, for the past year?" i look at them with my eyes wide, hardly believing they could have missed that. they all shrug, looking between each other in confusion. i mutter, "useless," with a shake of my head, and then head to meet daphne in the common room.