•Chapter Twenty Six• Home, not so sweet home...

Kimberly's Pov -

"Is your mother going to be there?" Luca asked me, just as we hopped into his car.

I flicked my hair out of my face, clipped my seat belt in and let my gaze linger over to him.

We had been back in California for two days now...

~Two days ago~

"There's still going to be a few of my men watching over you, see that car over there..." Luca pointed over to a dark ally way, I slowly nodded.

"That's two of my men, I just want to be on the safe side" He gripped my rosey cheeks, placing a gentle kiss on my forehead.

"Also when you go back to your apartment tomorrow, they will follow. I hate having to make you feel like you are being watched over, but I just could never forgive myself if something was to happen...I promise it won't be this way forever"

Smiling, I stood up on my tiptoes and pressed my lips against his. "It's okay, I understand"

"Call me later, Sí?"

Our foreheads pressed together as I nodded, the pad of his thumb stroking my cheek before he let go and turned, sending me a small smile before he hopped back into the limousine, the driver closing the door after him.

I watched the car zoom off, a breath leaving my lips before I pulled my suitcase up the white porch steps, my hand hesitating before I very slowly pushed open the door.

Knowing I had lied to my own mother by telling her I was only working abroad, when really I was hiding away in Italy, was crushing me inside.

It's like I had so much to tell her...yet I couldn't.

"Mom?" I called out, letting the door loudly close behind me.

"Is that my Baby girl?" I heard her yell, a toothy grin instantly making it's way onto my face.

Her small figure appeared in the hallway, her hair was pushed back and a long black cardigan was covering her body. "My darling!" She ushered, both of us making our way to each other.

A few tears escaped my eyes when she pulled me into a warm hug, my mother's embrace is all I've wanted for the past few weeks.

"I've missed you, mom" I squeezed her as tight as I could, not wanting to let go.

"Oh my Kimberly, you will never know how much I missed you!..."
-

"Yes, she will be there—it's one of my best friends engagement party! Why are you so worried about my mom?" I chuckled, watching as Luca started up the car and pulled out of his driveway.

"I'm not worried" He shrugged, running his free hand through his dark locks.

"You so are" I pushed, he rolled his eyes at me before glancing back at the road ahead.

"I just want to make a good first impression to the people who are important to you, mio amore..." [My love]

"Hey" I turned to face him. "My mom will love you"

He scoffed, "What? The leader of a Mafia and not to mention, a man who got her daughter in danger"

I stretched my hand out, letting it rest on his leg. "Luca, besides all of that, you are so much more, especially to me. And that is all my mother wants for me, it's all she cares about...all I care about"