𝐗𝐗𝐕. RESURRECTION STONE

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVERESURRECTION STONE

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
RESURRECTION STONE

§ § § 

When Harry and I went back to the staircase outside the Great Hall, we saw Draco, Ron, and Hermione sitting there, looking worried.

"Giovanna!"

Draco spotted us first, and luckily he didn't run over and hug me. I don't think I could have handled it if he did. He stood slowly, Ron and Hermione getting to their feet as well.

"We thought you had gone to the forest," Ron said, looking relieved.

"We're going there now," Harry says dully, walking past them.

I keep my gaze down and follow him.

"Are you mad?" Ron asked. "No! You can't give yourselves up to him."

Harry and I stop walking. I close my eyes, thinking about how, unwillingly, as babies we did give ourselves up to him.

"What is it?" Hermione asked, knowing something was wrong. "What is it you know?"

I slowly turned, Harry doing the same. Ron looked ready to tackle us if we tried to walk away, Hermione looked scared, and Draco looked as though he would kill anyone who tried to take us (me) away.

Harry took a deep breath. "There's a reason we can hear them. The Horcruxes. I think I've known for a while."

Studying the look on Hermione's face, I nodded sadly. "I think you have, too," I told her.

She sucked in a breath, tears forming in her eyes. "I'll go with you."

"No," I shook my head, ignoring the way my voice was also wavering. "Kill the snake."

Harry nodded. "Kill the snake and then it's just him."

I looked to Draco, who's eyes widened in realization. He was as smart as Hermione, of course he'd figure it out.

"No," he shook his head. "No."

"Draco-" I tried, but my voice cracked, and my eyes filled with tears. He stepped forward and I fell into his arms, crying on his shoulder.

I felt him still shaking his head. "No, I won't let you go. You can't go."

Pulling away, I wiped my tears and steadied my breathing. I had to be strong. For my friends, for Harry, for myself.

"Yes. It's the only way to win this. To beat him once and for all."

Hermione stepped forward and hugged Harry tightly, tears spilling down her face. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, feeling Draco take my hand.

"I... I can't lose you," Draco said. His voice was strong, and he wasn't crying. He had already accepted it, and was just saying the words to say them.