Chapter 4 ~ Gatsby

I shouldn't have gone out last night

I can still feel the lashes on my back as I roll over, wide awake starting at the early morning sun rising through the thin curtains. The small alarm clock on my bedside table reads four-twenty AM. I sigh but hold my breath immediately as pain travels across my sides.

Deciding there's no point in lying awake for the next hour, I push myself up slowly feeling the pain cascade across my limbs.

It was my fault, I shouldn't have stayed out last night! I should have just got the groceries and come home. I should have at least text to say I'd be home later, not that it would have mattered- dad would have been just as mad, the only difference being when he got the text he would have been a litre of whisky lighter.

I hobble from my wardrobe, dress in hand to the bathroom and start the shower. I let the bathroom steam up before I step past the sliding doors into the stream and collapse on the floor. I sit there. Silent tears dripping from my eyes combing with the shower water, washing down the drain.

Scolding water trickles across the array of black, purple and green-tinged bruises and slides across the cuts that line my body. Tiredness and disappointment weighs heavy on my skin, my wet hair moulded to my ghostly face.

I miss you, momma, I wish you were still here. I wish you could save me from this.

After a longer shower than intended, I wrap a towel around my sore body and wrap my hair up. I throw on the floral summer dress paired over a long-sleeve T-shirt, a pair of tights and chequered vans. If I look slightly peppier than I feel people might believe it.

With that motto in mind, I add a little extra make up to my horrible washed-out face before bolting towards the door, on the way something wraps around my ankle and I nearly trip over myself.

Managing to stable my crazy ass I turn to examine the culprit.

A gold cheer medal from my last state championship.

I carefully pick up the medal, running my fingers over the imprints on it. It must have fallen out of my old dance bag when I pulled the dress out of the wardrobe.

My heart wrings in pain, I want to cheer. I want to dance.

But I can't.

Searching for the bag blindly I find it half-open at the back of all my clothes. Pulling it closer to me I see the various bits of silver and gold, old dance shoes and a picture of... my mom and my baby sister at one of my dance competitions.

I stopped dancing a few years ago... it's just too painful. It reminds me too much of her and what I lost. the guilt cripples me.

Feeling tears pushing on my lashline I push the bag back into the wardrobe and hastily run downstairs, edging towards the kitchen with hopes my parents aren't in there.