|57|

I let out a small sigh of content, my arms crossed over my chest as I stare out at the sun that is slowly beginning to set of the horizon of the water. The waves crash quietly, but I've had enough of the water today. Niall and I spent most of the day splashing each other and acting like two years olds. He tackled me into the water multiple times which resulted in us both getting soaked after claiming we were going to dry off for the rest of the day.

   Zayn didn't get in the water at all, but Niall would occasionally splash him just to get on his nerves. But he quit when Zayn 'accidentally' stepped on his sand castle. Today was a really good day. We were all in good moods and everything seemed almost perfect. Except for the fact that Harry didn't come.

   I tried not to get my hopes up about him coming, but of course I did. I could tell Zayn was on the phone with him earlier today because he kept glancing at me every so often. I tried not to think about the fact that he could call Zayn, but he couldn't even text me. But Niall was helpful and kept me busy. I think that's what he was aiming for, but he didn't have to. He naturally distracts everyone.

   I shiver lightly, still only being dressed in my bikini. The air is beginning to cool down as the day slowly drifts away and the wind is starting to pick up a bit. We decided to just drive home later on, which I'm glad for because I want to shower and sleep in my own bed. As much as I don't want to admit it, I'm sad that Harry didn't come today, let alone text me. But I have to remember that I'm the one who chose to have this break.

  I chew the inside of my cheek, biting the flesh to try and hold back the urge to cry. I'm happy with how today went, but I can tell Zayn, Tiff, and Niall can see how hard it is for me that Harry didn't come. I kind of knew he wouldn't, given he hasn't even hung out with Zayn in a while. I just wish I understood what he was going through.

  "Hey." I blink away the tears in my eyes before glancing over at Zayn who is walking towards me, his feet stopping him beside me, a small smile on his lips. "You okay?"

  "Yeah." I nod, averting my attention back out to the small waves that come in and out in a continuous pattern. "Thanks for today, honestly, it was perfect." I state, the wind tussling my hair causing me to tuck my front strands behind my ear.

  "Don't thank me." He grins. "You deserved a stress free day, I know things are hard between you and Harry, but it'll all work out sooner than you think." He tells me, a small sigh escaping my lips as I let my eyes fall down to my feet that are covered with sand.

  "It just makes me sad, because now I'm stuck wondering if I did the right thing." I admit to him, Zayn staying quiet for a moment beside me. "All I want is for Harry to be sober and healthy, and if that means we need to break up and not see each other, then I'm willing to do that." I explain.

  "I think you both would lose yourselves if that happened." Zayn jokes causing to me grin and nod my head. He's right. "He just gets in his own head sometimes, he struggles with a lot more than he puts up front. And for a long time, his coping mechanism was drugs." He mumbles quietly.

  "I just want to help him, but I can't when he continues to lie and push me away, going straight to drugs when something goes wrong." I sigh, my eyes flickering around the ocean and the beautiful sunset in front of me.

  "And that's why he's been so quiet the past few weeks, he has to learn to control himself and his cravings. For people like Harry, he needs to focus on himself and himself only, and we all know he can't do that." Zayn tells me, a short laugh escaping my lips at his last words. "You're it for him, Clover. He just needed some time. Thank you for giving it to him." He says, earning my attention again.