chapter three

"Well, I guess this is it," I said to Charles once he'd placed my large suitcase beside me.

"Hm, yeah, I guess it is." He chuckled. "Take care of yourself and don't forget, I'm always a phone call away." He tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear and cupped my cheek. My heart fluttered wildly as he leaned his forehead against mine.

"I will," I breathed.

"Just do you. " His azure eyes staring into mine dull ones. "You're amazing. Don't forget that - and don't let anyone tell you different." A single tear rolls down my cheek but Charles gently wiped it away. "I mean, haven't you heard?" His arms snaked around my waist, pulling me into a warm hug. "Authenticity is so sexy." He whispered in my ear.

"Fuck off." I said. Trying to stop a smile from creeping onto my face. "I'm going to miss you, Charles." I said softly, my head buried in his shoulder.

He sighed dramatically. "Who wouldn't." I scowled at him and hit his shoulder. "Kidding, I'm going to miss you too, kid."

"I'm not a kid." I scowled at him.

"Sure, whatever you say."

We stayed in each other's embrace for a little longer until a soft voice spoke.

"Um, hello." Standing not too far from us stood a girl who looked around my age. Her black hair was pulled into a messy bun, a few strands framing her heart shaped face. She wore a white tennis skirt and an oversized baby blue sweater. Making her appear smaller than she already seemed to be.

"H-hey." I pulled away from Charles and smiled at her.

"I'm Kira Lee and you're Venessa, right?" She said brightly.

"Yeah." I rubbed my arm soothingly.

"Nice to meet you." She said. Charles nodded in her direction and turned to me with a light smile.

"See you around, kid." He leaned down and placed a soft kiss in my cheek.

I cleared my throat awkwardly. "Yeah, see you around." He got back into the car and drove away. Leaving me with Kira who was attempting to lift all my luggage by herself.

"Let me help you with that." I took the bigger suitcase and mounted my backpack onto my back.

"Who's the blonde Brit?"

"A friend." I said smiling softly.

"Oh, he's cute." She glanced at me with a smirk.

"Yeah, I guess." I turned away. Embarrassed.

She didn't respond and took me up the stairs into a familiar lobby. The same thin man sat behind a desk. He looked up from his work and smiled at us.

"Good day, Miss Volkov, glad to see you again. Miss Lee I didn't see you slip by."

"Sorry Gary, I didn't want to bother you, you seemed busy."

"Busy or not you know you're supposed to inform me when leaving the building during the weekend." He scolded lightly.

"Sorry"

"It's okay, dear. Miss Volkov, I'm sure Miss Lee has already informed you about your living situation."

"Oh yeah," Kira looked at me sheepishly. "We're roommates." She said with a wide grin.

"Oh.."

"Oh? You sound disappointed..." She said sadly.

"I'm not disappointed. I just don't know what to say." I laughed nervously.

"Okay then." she smiled again.