Chapter twelve: Surprises

Annabeth woke up to the loud snoring of Gideon Prewett.

Annabeth, Fabian, and Prewett had all fallen asleep in one bed, squished together.

" Get up, Gideon" said Annabeth as she flicked him

" I'm innocent!" yelled Gideon as he shot up

Annabeth couldn't help but laugh at the terrified face the boy made, waking up Fabian.

" Merlin, you lot are loud" groaned Fabian

Annabeth smiled at the twins and then hopped out of bed, heading to their bathroom

The girl took a quick shower and put on spare clothes she kept in their room and came back out into the room.

" Well, I best be going"' said the girl, placing a kiss on each boys cheek

The boys muttered a response and then fell back to sleep.

Annabeth was in a surprisingly good mood as she bummed to herself while walking down the hall

" Annabeth! Where have you been?"

Annabeth spun around and was faced with a very angry teenage boy.

" Oh, hello Remus" said Annabeth

Remus's eyebrows were furrowed together as he stared at the girl.

" You disappeared last night. Nobody knew where you were" snapped Remus

" I was with the twins" replied Annabeth, slightly taken aback by the boys tone.

" Why did you leave Lily and I" questioned the boy.

Oh yea, Lily.

Annabeth had almost forgotten about the way Lily had been staring at Remus, full of desire.

" Didn't feel like third wheeling" spat Annabeth, her good mood far gone.

Remus was beyond confused.

Before he could question her, Annabeth was gone.

//////

Sam Barkley woke up in bed with Sirius Black.

" What the hell" asked Sam, talking to himself.

Looking up, he saw James Potter smirking at him.

" So, Sam. I see you and Pads had fun" laughed James

Sam knew that he and Sirius hadn't done anything, they were both fully clothed and sleeping on separate sides of the bed. At least he hopes they hadn't.

Sirius began to stir in his bed as he heard the voices around his speaking loudly

" We didn't do anything, James." said Sam, sounding like he was trying to convince himself more than James.

" I didn't bloody make a move on a drunk man" mumbled Sirius, his face in his pillow

James's bark-like laughter filled up the room as he saw Sam's face turn a bright shade of pink.

" Well, i'm going to find Evans" cheered James.

James was walking down the stairs to the common room when he heard Lily's voice.

" It was so good Marls, he brought that Prewett girl but she left after a while" giggled Lily

"You and Remus are gonna be so cute!" squealed Marlene

James's face paled.

" I just hope it works out, I'm far better for him than her" said Lily.

James stormed down the stairs and out of the common room, looking for Remus.

He spotted Remus talking to Peter and marched over

" Hey, mate" smiled Remus

James punched Remus square in his jaw. Remus tumbled back and Peter stood there, terrified.

" What the hell, James?!" shouted Remus, blood leaking from his lip.

" How could you?! How could you do that to me?" yelled James, close to tears.

Annabeth had been walking around trying to calm herself down when she heard the yelling.

Making her way over, she gasped as Remus lay on the floor bleeding and James towered over him.

Annabeth ran over and placed a hand on James's shoulder, getting his attention

" What is going on here?!" exclaimed the girl

" Moony here is dating Lily" sneered James

Annabeth felt her heart break at those words.

" What" whispered the girl

" I am not dating Evans! What are you talking about" asked Remus, confusion all over his bloody face.

Annabeth looked at Peter then back at Remus.

" So that was a date last night?" asked the girl in disbelief.

James threw another punch but instead of hitting Remus, he hit Annabeth.

The earth stood still as James's fist collided with her face.

Annabeth stood there in silence as her cheek felt the contact.

" You knew about this?!" shouted James

Annabeth said nothing as her ears were ringing and her face throbbed

James was about to throw an insult at the girl when he was suddenly thrown to the ground by Sam.

Annabeth had never seen Sam lose his cool before but as he let all his anger out onto James, she had seen it all.

" Sam, stop! He didn't mean it, please!" begged Annabeth

She was too scared to do anything about it even though she knew her words were of no use.

Sirius grabbed Sam and held him back while Peter grabbed James.

Annabeth looked at all the guys and realized how angry she was.

" Have you all gone mad?!" screamed the witch.

" James, who gives a shit if Remus is dating Lily? He can do what he wants," said the girl even though she knew she didn't feel that way, " if Evans chose him then just be happy she's with a good guy"

Annabeth was done with him until she felt a pain in her cheek.

" And what the bloody hell was that punch about?! I mean you have a nice punch but you're seriously messed up for that" snapped Annabeth.

James hung his head in shame as Annabeth glared at him.

" And you! You are no better than him. You knew that James loved Lily and now you're dating her? There's nothing even special about her, you fought your best mate over that?" spat Annabeth.

Of course she felt that way but deep down, she was upset that it was another red-head.

"Sammy, you didn't have to do that," whispered the girl, " I know you have a lot going on and you're stressed but you could have gotten hurt and I can't have that happening"

" Why is he the one you're being all nice to?!" spoke up Peter.

Annabeth slowly turned around and stomped over to the boy.

Slapping him in the face.

" In case you've forgotten, Sam is my best friend. He only acted the way he did because you couldn't handle the situation and let James punch me! You're the worst of them all" yelled the girl.

Annabeth felt her heartbeat rising as she looked at all the boys around her, one of them crying.

James knew he wasn't the best person ever but he never thought he could seriously hurt the people he cared about.