the one after the mission

summary: after going away on a dangerous mission, you eagerly await poe's return (with a bit of lowkey platonic finn+ rey x reader because that group dynamic is my fave) 

Poe Dameron was capable of a lot of things. He was the best pilot in the Resistance, as well as being an excellent fighter and amazing strategist. It sometimes felt like he was indestructible, as though he were capable of coming back from anything.

This time, you weren't so sure. General Organa had described the operation as a suicide mission, warning everybody involved that they might not arrive back in one piece. But, Poe was nothing if not stubborn, and he'd insisted that he'd be fine - and the following four days had been the worst of your life. There had barely been a word or a whisper from him or the rest of his squadron and you were teetering on the edge of insanity.

'Hey,' Finn was sat in front of you, watching as you paced back and forth. 'You gotta calm down - we'll know soon.'

'How are you so calm? You can't live without Poe anymore than I can.' You exclaimed.

'We're not gonna be without him!' He stood up, placing his hands on your shoulders and forcing you to stop in your tracks. 'C'mere.'

Finn pulled you into a reassuring hug, realising that you were about to lose it completely. He was one of your closest friends at the Resistance and you were grateful his comforting touch, even though you knew he was also struggling with his friend's absence.

'Poe's gonna be fine. I just know it.'

'How?' you grumbled into his shirt.

'Because he's right behind us.'

You almost let out a shriek as you released your grip on your friend, spinning around to see Poe stood a few feet away from you. He looked a bit worse-for-wear in his dirtied orange suit; his eyes were tired and his hair messy, but he had a grin on his face as he held his arms out.

Thundering towards him, the pilot let out an oof! when your bodies collided. His arms wrapped around your waist and he lifted you up in the air, momentarily holding you there as he muttered something indecipherable into your hair. You felt suddenly overwhelmed with the urge to cry - with relief, with happiness, with everything.

'It's so fucking good to see you, sweetheart.' Poe placed you back on the ground, taking your face in his hands. 'I missed you so much.'

Unable to find the words, you leant up, brushing your lips against his. They were slightly chapped from days of cold weather and dry nights; still, you couldn't help but lean into his touch, hands grasping at his hair as you kissed. You hadn't realised how much you'd missed him holding you until you had him back.

'You're back, and you're safe.' Your ability to speak make finally made its debut. 'That's the main thing.'

Poe pulled you into another tight hug, resting his head on top of yours as he gently swayed side to side. It had been a rough mission - he was fine, but others had been lost - and there had been moments when he wasn't sure he'd ever come home to you. Your presence alone was already making him feel better.

'I love you.' He murmured. 'I love you so much.'

'I love you too.' You sighed, words muffled by the fact you were pressed to his chest.

Despite the craziness of the hangar surrounding you - pilots rushing to fix their jets, other people hugging as they reunited - you stayed like that for a little longer. Each passing day was getting harder and harder with the war and sometimes you just wanted it all to stop, to slow the hell down so that you could just be with the person you loved most.

Finn, meanwhile, was in a similar situation with Rey a few feet away from you. She'd been on the mission too, and like Poe, she looked like she needed rest. You let go of him for a minute, taking his hands in yours.

'Should we join them?' You asked.

Poe squeezed your hands in his. 'Let's go.'

Having seen you coming over, Finn opened his arms to you both; you almost tackled Rey into a hug, tightly gripping onto your friend as the four of you created a tangle of human limbs. You could feel Poe behind you, because he had one arm still around your waist, occasionally giving it a squeeze to remind you that he was, in fact, still there and still in one piece and not a figment of your imagination.

'I love you guys.' You murmured.

'I love you too.' Rey replied.

'I love you more.' Finn tried to counter her.

'Woah, back off guys.' Poe quipped. 'I love them the most and everybody knows that.'