writing the future

summary: it was easy to think about what you'd lost during the war, but much harder to think about the things you'd achieved. a quiet evening in coruscant gives you and poe a chance to reflect on how far you've come

Sometimes it felt like fighting in the war had become a state of mind.

The war itself was over; the First Order had fallen, Poe Dameron had lead the Resistance to victory and finally, the two of you had begun to build the life you'd always spoke about. It had become something of a coping mechanism - whenever times were particularly tough, you would sit together in the dark and spend hours talking about what you were gonna do when the war was over. Poe had always made a point to say when and not if; it was as though he couldn't bare to think of an outcome where he lost you, or once where you couldn't be together. Through the entirety of it all, you were the only thing that kept him going. You both knew that you had come home to one another. It wasn't much of a choice. In fact, there were times when it was the only thing in the galaxy he trusted.

Once the dust had settled and you'd left your demons to rest with the First Order on Exegol, you and Poe started to rebuild. He was needed on Coruscant to help lead the New Republic, so you settled in an apartment in the middle of the capital. After years of bouncing between bases and living in camps, having a permanent roof over your head felt...odd. But, if there was one thing you had come to learn, it was that home was a people and not a place. As long as Poe was by your side, you would have been happy settling in the swamps of Dagobah.

'Baby, I'm home!'

The pilot greeted you with the same thing every day. He usually came stumbling through the door just after dark, arms piled high with paper work. Both of your jobs could be exhausting, but neither of you would ever complain. You were working towards a galaxy that you'd spent your entire lives fighting for.

'I'm out here!' You called.

On that particular evening, you'd found yourself sat out on the balcony. It overlooked the remains of the Senate District, which was arguably one of the most beautiful places in the city. The lights stretched out for miles, a tangle of whites and yellows and gold, glowing against the back drop of the night sky. You were wearing an old hoodie of the Poe's, but the evening air was cold and cool against your skin. It was oddly serene, and incredibly hard to believe that just months ago, the same navy skies above you were glowing red with anger, filled with the pain and anguish of war.

Everything after Exegol felt like a dream.

'What're you doing out here, silly?' Poe dumped his files on the kitchen table, sticking his head out the door. 'It's freezing.'

You glanced over your shoulder at him, giving him a smile. 'We're paying an obscene amount of money to rent this place. Figured I might as well enjoy the view.'

'I told you that Yavin-4 is cheaper.' He placed a hand on your shoulder as he walked to sit next to you, gently pulling you into his side. You greeted him by pressing a kiss to his cheek.

'And you also kicked up a fuss about how much effort it would be to travel from there to work everyday.' You shot back.

'I hate when you remember what I say.' Poe grumbled. 'Makes it really hard to argue with you.'

You let out a small laugh, shaking your head. 'How was your day?'

'I think the question should be how was your day, general?'

You feigned shock for a minute, dramatically pretending to glance around. 'I didn't realise Finn was here!'

'You're an asshole.' He squeezed your side. 'My day was good. Long, but good.'