the one where he's your safety husband

summary: after attending one of your friend's weddings, you and poe come to an arrangement about your own future marriages

warnings: brief mentions of drinking

Seeing a couple so in love amidst the chaos of the war was refreshing.

It was a small wedding between two of your team-mates. They'd found a little church on the outskirts of a village on Yavin-4 and despite everything going on, it had been beautiful. You were happy to see two of your friends get their own happy ending - but, it left you wondering if you were missing out on yours. You'd dedicated to much of yourself to the war that finding time for love seemed almost impossible.

You were sat at one of the tables, a glass of champagne loosely resting in your hand as you watched the new couple dance. Poe was sat beside you, absent-mindedly smiling at them as they twirled around the dance floor to a slow song. He'd spent most of the evening with you - though that was hardly out the ordinary. He was one of your closest friends, after all.

'D'you ever think about marriage?' He asked.

You shuffled in your chair to face him, shrugging slightly. 'In a general sense, yeah.'

'I mean about you getting married.' Poe pushed. He reached forward to take your glass from your hand, taking a quick sip.

'I'm already married,' you snatched it back, tapping him on the nose. 'Married to the Resistance, baby.'

'Sweetheart.' He dropped his head onto the table, trying to hide the fact he was clearly cringing. 'That's terrible.'

'No worse than any of the jokes that you make, Dameron.' You chuckled.

He stood up, dusting off his trousers, before sticking out his hand to you. He looked handsome in his suit, with the tie loosened and his top button undone. You so rarely got to see him out of his usual brown trousers or orange flight suit, so it was a nice change.

'Let's dance.' Poe said. 'I'm sure you got plenty of practice at your wedding to the Resistance.'

You stood up, knitting your fingers in his as you walked to the dance floor. You moved your hand to rest on his neck, the other wrapping around the top of of his arm. His own hands were warm, holding your waist as you settled into the music. He occasionally gave your hips a squeeze, and you tried to hide the fact it made you tremor slightly.

Neither of you were any good at dancing - it was more of a gesture. But, you'd long passed the point of having enough wine to forget about embarrassing yourselves and you just wanted to have fun. Days like this were few and far with everything going on.

'Say you did get married,' Poe said, 'what do you think it would be like?'

'Kriff, I don't know.' You murmured. 'I struggle to think about what I want for dinner, let alone what my theoretical wedding. And honestly, with the state this galaxy is in, I don't think it's something that'll ever happen.'

He nodded. 'The Resistance isn't really the place to meet people, huh?'

You pretended not to notice the fact that his grip on you tightened, or that his gaze become more intense. People around you had joked about you and Poe basically being a married couple - you bickered a lot, and you joked around a lot, but you always had each other's backs. In that sense, it was sort of like having a partner - minus all the stuff you wanted, like Poe actually being yours.

'It happened for them.' You glanced over your shoulder at your friends.

'Let's make a deal,' Poe let go off your waist, taking your hands in his. 'If this time in twenty years, we're both still alive and single, we'll get married.'

Initially, you snorted - but then you realised he was serious. 'Seriously? You'd marry me in twenty years?'

'Mm, you're right.' He stopped, biting his lip for a moment. 'By that point, we'd both be suffering from furniture syndrome.'

'The hell is that?'

'When your chest drops into your drawers?' He broke into a grin, winking at you.

'I don't know what else I expected.' You dropped your head into his shoulder. 'Let's make it ten, then.'

'Great.' He pressed a kiss to your cheek. 'So, it's settled. I'm your safety husband.'

'I look forward to it.' You beamed back at him, eyes lingering on the chain around his neck that held his mother's ring. He'd shown it to you before, and you'd almost cried when he told you the story behind it.

One of his hands brushed through your hair, gently resting on your cheek for a split second. 'Now I just need to spent the next ten years making sure you don't meet anybody else.'