Chapter 14

In which the boundary line grows ever hazier

Chapter 14

When Harry excused himself to go to the loo, Muffy decided it would be a good time for Mr.Styles to fetch her lipstick from the glove compartment in his car. That left the two of us alone at the table, and she didn't waste a second before leaning forward to have a word with me.

"June, can I just say something?" she asked, linking her hands in front of her on the table.

My first instinct was to shake my head because I had a strong feeling that somehow, she knew about the hand job under the table. Even if I felt powerful and triumphant, it wasn't something I wanted to discuss with my flatmate's father's fiancée.

Instead, I simply raised my eyebrows, allowing her to go on.

"I feel like I have a friend in you," Muffy said, moving her hands toward me on the table as if I was supposed to reach across and meet them. "We've only met twice, but I already know we could be great friends."

Oh, God.

"To tell the truth, I see a lot of myself in you," she continued. "You remind me of myself when I was your age."

Which was... five years ago? Seven, at the most?

To prevent myself from chuckling, I looked for something to sip on at the table. It was a conversation too uncomfortable for water, so I took what remained of Harry's beer, instead.

"That's why I feel that I can talk to you. I've met some of Mark's family – his brother, his mother and father – and his friends, but I feel a bit stuffy around them. Like I don't quite fit in. I know they judge me. It's no secret I'm younger than Mark, but they treat me as though I was born yesterday."

If not yesterday, then when? was a question precariously perched on the tip of my tongue.

"I knew that going in, I suppose. Things will change over time – they'll get to know the real me and see that I'm not some young blonde bird he picked up at a sleazy club."

I nodded slowly, my eyes squinting as I tried to decipher where she was going with this.

Harry's mug of beer was cradled in my hands, held close to my lips in case I needed it for a cover.

She gasped, reaching across the table and gesturing for my hand in apology. Reluctant and bewildered, I eventually gave it to her, still clutching the beer with my free hand.

"That wasn't meant to offend you," Muffy gushed. "I didn't even think about – not that it applies, of course. You may work at a club now, but you met Harry long before."

I smiled calmly, not in the least perturbed. "It's fine. Not to worry."

"Besides, you have all the integrity in the world. You're humble and kind and not at all facetious."

I sincerely wished that Harry were here to get a load of this rubbish.

"Anyway," she said, releasing my hand and leaning back in her chair, "I know how people see me. Not just me, but my relationship with Mark. They instantly jump to conclusions, but I know what we have is true."

"Right," I agreed, taking a large swig of beer to dull the pain of the awkward moment.

Exhaling happily, I couldn't help but ask, "Why are you telling me this?"

Muffy gave me a sad smile, one full of tenderness and affection. I leaned back in my seat, afraid that she would lunge for my limbs again.

"I know you've seen the ring," she said, holding her left hand in the air. The rock on her finger glimmered even in the dim lighting of the restaurant.