55. Reunion

RILEY

What the hell are they playing at? I cannot set things on fire. I don't even have matches or a lighter.

"Are you two high? I did no such thing." I grimaced at both of them, annoyance once again creeping in.

Aiden took my hands, turning them so that my palms were exposed. I felt a warm, tingling sensation in one of them, like you do after you have played with a candle flame, but I did not think much of it.

"Riley, you shot a fireball at that lamp and it came from your palm," Aiden explained calmly. "The only people that I have seen do that are either dragon shifters or magic folk."

"Well, the joke is on you then because you must be seeing things, Aiden. I am neither a dragon shifter nor a witch," I laughed incredulously, dismissing his statement.

They were both dead serious though- I could see it in their faces.

Rafe was looking at me intensely like he was trying to figure me out as well. "That fireball came from you, Moreau. And what's more, you moved from the bed with superspeed. The kind that only wolf shifters usually have."

Are they fucking serious? What's next- telling me that I am a wolf-dragon hybrid now? I mocked them in my head, making sure that they didn't hear my thoughts this time.

Aiden was still holding my hands, running his thumb pads along my skin. His touch soothed me as usual and I felt myself relax a bit. "Humour me, Riley. Imagine fire appearing in your hand. A small ball of fire that you want to play with."

I did not really feel like playing this stupid game but the desire to prove them wrong was stronger than me, so I followed his instructions.

"See- nothing," I uttered satisfied as nothing happened.

That was until a small spark suddenly appeared in my palm. In front of my own eyes, it turned into a small orb of flames. Seeing it there, in my hand, was surreal -it came out of nowhere and, what was more, my skin should have been burning by now. But I felt nothing. Nothing but total control over the fire.

"Whaaaatt is happening?

Before I could get an answer though, I heard Rafe shout at me, "Moreau, catch!"

That was all the warning I got before he threw the room key in my face. I closed my eyes, bracing myself for the impact as I did not have sufficient time to block his throw but nothing happened.

Slowly, I opened one eye, then the other. The key was right there in my closed palm. My hand had somehow moved to protect me- something that should not have been possible because everything happened in the split of a second and I normally wouldn't have had time to react.

"So, super-speed like a wolf-" Aiden said.

"- and control over fire, like a dragon," Rafe concluded.

"That can't be- I am just a human." My fingers flew to my temples, massaging them as loud thumping was threatening to make my head explode. "Can you two also calm your damn hearts? The sound of your rapid heartbeats is going to give me a headache."

They both looked at each other with a surprise before Rafe spoke again. "I think it is safe to add wolf super-hearing to the list of surprising abilities."

"Love, whatever is going on, it is something extraordinary because I have never heard of anyone being able to pick up the abilities of another shifter, mate or not."

"Thanks, Aiden- that's one hell of a way to reassure me," I hissed, my voice laced with sarcasm.

"I know this is a lot to take in, Riley, but we promise that we will help you get control over these new abilities." He stepped forward to give me a kiss on the cheek and my mind calmed again.