t w e n t y - s e v e n

Ember

THIS IS A VERY INTERESTING WAY TO DIE. Did I ever think I'd be dragged down to hell? No, not particularly. I thought I'd be brutally murdered, if I'm being perfectly honest. But, being pulled down to hell with disgusting smelly creatures? Not exactly at the top of my "Ways Ember Ryvergrave Will Die List''. But now it is definitely up there. Along with being burnt at the stake.

It's all very exciting.

But I can't seem to be very mad about this particular ending to my life. Seems quite fitting. Dying inside my mind. Would that mean my body would remain? Would I be a vegetable for the rest of my miserable life? I don't want Faune keeping my body alive, but knowing her, she'd try to keep me alive. Keep me comfortable. She'd take care of me. That is not a life I wish for her. I hope someone will take pity on me and kill me when she isn't looking.

I squeeze my eyes more firmly shut at the thought. I never want to be like that. I never want anyone to see me like that. It'd be too humiliating.

The sounds of the pounding feet's of the creatures gets louder. Nearing me. Finally ready to grab me.

I hear the creatures growl, I assume they're about to pounce on me, so I open my eyes a smidge.

Only to see them gone.

Everything is gone. It is no longer dark, it's bright. I'm no longer in my head. I am on the floor. I must've flown off from the blow of the attack.

Good gods, I am the most dramatic person ever. Lawrence and Kam were right. I've been lying on the gods-damn floor the entire time. I could've just opened my eyes to see everyone staring at me.

I look up to see Faune stradling my hips. She sighs in relief when I open my eyes. She jumps off me, kneeling by my side. I turn my head to my other side to see Kam kneeling as well. Horror stretches out on his beautiful features.

This really isn't a good look for him.

"Ember are you okay?" Faune asks. I know I should answer her, but my eyes are locked on Kam's. My heart slips up when I realize how intense his gaze is. I can't tell if he's going to kiss me or kill me. Neither would be appreciated.

Faune grabs my face and forces me to make her stare.

Oops, she's mad.

Probably furious that I protected Kam instead of allowing him to take the blow. She doesn't understand any of this. I can tell. She doesn't understand our relationship. She expected me to hate him—no doubt—when she got here. I thought I hated him too, but the minute my Boundment turned on Kam my instincts took over. I had to protect him. I couldn't let him die. I can't lose another person. I can't. Even if it's Kam.

But I can also tell Faune is sad I never told her. It was never about not trusting her, I'll have to tell her that soon. It was all about me. I wasn't ready to relive all the heartbreak. I wanted to forget about him and go back to work. I needed to forget everything. And telling Faune about me and Kam? Out loud? It would've made what Kam and I had . . . real. I wasn't ready for it to be real. If I admitted that, I would've broken down even more.

It was easier to pretend it wasn't real. That none of it happened.

All of it.

"Say something." Faune says, her voice taking on a furious/scared edge to it. She shakes my head a bit in emphasis.

"Ouch."

Faune narrows her eyes, I can tell she's trying her hardest not to smile. That right now she needs to be serious.