1. The Party

Chapter Summary: This is just a quick intro to who Y/N is, and what she does for work and all that.

Word count: 2k

----------------------------------------

"Hey! Are you up for drinks tonight?"

Martha came around the corner, carrying a box full of cleaning supplies. You were standing with your back to her, readjusting the trinkets and various glassware along the table.

You worked with Martha at The Gold Key; a small and humble boutique she owned. It sold everything from jewellery, houseware, clothing, and accessories, and today several items had been displaced by customers. The store was too small to comfortably fit all that it had to offer, but Martha insisted it added to its charm.

"I'd love to go with you, but I'm actually going to be busy tonight." You threw her a sympathetic glance.

It wasn't often that the two of you went out together - your schedules hardly lined up. Despite working nearly identical hours, Martha kept pretty busy most nights after the store closed. You supposed that was how she remained so successful. At only 27, Martha had accomplished a lot and did well as a young entrepreneur.

She and you were close. Only 16 months separated the two of you in age, with you being the younger one. You considered her to be one of your only close friends, and you hated to disappoint her since it had been so long since the two of you had gone out last. Martha deserved a fun night out for all of the dedication she put into the store.

"Oh, what're you doing tonight?" 

She gave the slightest smirk as she began to wipe down the counter and cash register.

Your life right now consisted solely of work. Afterwards, you'd go home and cook supper for yourself and eat alone while you watched Netflix. On the nights where you weren't laying low, you did the exact opposite.

You were a part of the BDSM community as a submissive. Sometimes you'd go out to play parties or dates, but it had been a while since you had done either. The last time you had a Dom was almost a year ago, and since then you had rarely participated in any activities in the community.

You stopped organizing and turned towards her, lowering your voice so that only she could hear.

"I'm going to a party..." you admitted.

Martha knew exactly what kind of party you were talking about. She knew all about your sex life; you shared everything with her. She was there for you when there wasn't anyone else for you to turn to.

The two of you had met years ago in college as roommates. She was taking business, and you were taking chemistry, just like your mother had. The two of you successfully finished your degrees (you had even gotten your master's) and you were in the process of applying for research positions at hot-shot chemical companies, when your mom had passed away unexpectedly after suffering a stroke.

Your dad was never really in the picture and you doubted if he even knew she had passed. He hadn't kept in touch, or called, or reached out since leaving you and your mom after you had been born.

After her funeral and everything else had been settled, you lacked the motivation to continue a career in research. Instead, you decided to work with Martha where you could be closer to home. Less time would be spent away from friends and family, and your days wouldn't be spent alone in a lab. Your hours were more relaxed, and you were hardly stressed at work. You had time to cook, and read, and enjoy the simple pleasures in life.

Since your mom's death, you had learned the importance of surrounding yourself with the things that made you happy. Life was short, and you had to make sure you made time to live well.