Chapter 24

Enjoy(:

Fan, Comment, Vote, Smile, Believe <33

____________________________________________________________________

 I laid there for a while, just enjoying the quiet moment between us. I sighed then, deciding I should probably change. I hopped up from the bed and smiled down at Cain, who was half-asleep. Poor guy. I undid his tux with some trouble and pulled the blankets up, leaving him in only slacks and a white undershirt.

 I picked up the duffel bag in the corner of the room, shuffling through it. I grabbed a pair of matchstick jeans and a black v-neck, rushing to the bathroom, still holding the bag. I locked the door and pulled the dress off, shrugging into my chosen clothes. I fished around the bag a little, surprised when I felt something cool.

 I pulled out a red pocket knife, something I didn't remember putting in there. I flicked it open with a twist of my wrist, enjoying the power it brought. Without another thought, I slipped it into my back pocket - just in case.

  I took the next few minutes to wash my face and brush my teeth, hearing the last of the guests clear out. I looked at the mirror, disappointed to see that the bruises were back, still as dark as this morning. My lip had been partly healed though, thanks to the make-up artist. I listened as the front door slammed shut with finality, no more sound coming from the living room.

  I swung the bathroom door open and headed back to the bedroom. Cain was still sprawled out on the bed. His black hair was messy and the sheets were twisted around is long legs. I dropped the bag back into the corner and tip-toed across the carpet towards the bed. I just stood there a minute, watching Cain's chest rise and fall, his face peaceful. All the worry lines he'd worn today were gone, leaving a serene expression, a smile on his lips.

  I reached an arm out and brushed some of the hair off his forehead, nearly snickering when he smiled wider in his sleep. I pulled my hand back and sighed.

 "You really turned me into a sap." I murmured into the air, watching him sleep.

 Then the silence was broken by a piercing scream from the backyard. I scarcely noticed Cain wake up, because I shot to the window, throwing myself out of it. I landed on the balls of my feet and sprinted around the corner of the house, towards the two figures hugging on the ground.

I reached them in seconds, noticing how Casey was crying softly. Jake was holding her, glaring with hatred at the surrounding trees. He pulled Casey to her feet, but she seemed reliant on his strength. Her face was pale and tears were still on her cheeks.

  "He's here," She whimpered.

"He's been saying things." She breathed, looking frightened and a little insane.

 "Take her inside." I ordered.

Jake didn't question me, just half-carried her inside. Once they were gone, I faced the forest, pulling the blade from my pocket, flicking it open. I crouched my legs and wacthed the the woods, ready for an attack.

 I heard a crunch behind me and spun, nearly tossing the knife until I realized it was Cain, with a serious case of bed head. He didn't look sleepy though, his emerald eyes were wide and his body was crouched low like mine.

 I turned around again, facing the dark trees.

"He's here." I whispered, not trusting anything, even the 'quiet' woods.

There was a low chuckle to my far left and I spun, seeing only brush. The grass was swaying softly under my bare feet.

 There was another chuckle to my right and I spun around again, confused. Then the loudest noise yet came from directly ahead. A voice. His voice. I held the knife up, noticing how Cain gasped softly as he saw it. I barely heard it over the taunting voice.