14| Night

Chapter 14: Night (Archer's POV)

Everyone had just finished dinner and were going up into their rooms. 

The layout of our palace is a little weird. You have the ground floor, one floor up is my room with a few guest rooms as well as a sauna room down the hall. It's never used, I don't know why it exists. Downstairs is my parents' room, my father's study, the council meeting room, and the kitchen. On the floor above mine, are more guest rooms and a library. Attached to the library, is the main balcony, used for ceremonies and waving at people and photographs and stuff like that. Then the backyard and the pool fit in. 

When Evelyn and I reached our floor, we went our way, the princesses continuing up. 

Now, the staircase to the second floor isn't the same as the one we just used to come here. You step onto the first floor and keep walking straight. A single, wide staircase then leads you upstairs whereas double stairs lead us to the first floor. It's complicated and irrelevant. So, I don't know why I'm telling you. 

"Do you sleep early?" she asked. 

"No," I shook my head. "I couldn't sleep early even if I tried to." 

"Me neither," she nodded. 

"Why do you ask?" 

"So that I have someone to annoy when I can't sleep," she smiled. 

"Ah, okay," I nodded. 

She chuckled as we walked to our rooms, at the end of the left hallway. We stopped at our rooms and turned to each other. "Good night," she sang. 

"Good night," I chuckled. "Oh, wait." I grabbed a rose out of the vase sitting at a small table between our rooms, against the wall. I handed it to her. "I have decided to give you a flower every day that you are here. A countdown till you become the bride," I smirked. 

"You already gave me one," she laughed. 

"Two for your first day at the palace," I shrugged, taking a step closer to her. 

She stepped around me, dodging me and leaning against my door while I leaned against hers. I sighed, looking down at her. 

"Is that all for today?" she smiled. 

"Yes, I'm afraid it is." I opened her door, making way for her. I tossed her the rose before she could move and she caught it with one hand, twirling it between her fingers while shaking her head. "Nice catch," I grinned, walking over and trapping her between me and the door. 

She looked up at me, shaking her head slowly. I opened the door while she pushed herself off it. "Good night," she chuckled, walking around me and going into her room. 

"Good night," I smiled, stepping into my own room. We both closed our doors simultaneously. I let out a breath, shaking my shoulders. I don't think I have ever been so nervous around her. I shrugged the blazer off and then took the shirt and tie off. 

I opened my closet doors, grabbing the first pair of sweatpants I saw, and going into the bathroom. I tossed my clothes in the hamper and then changed before brushing my teeth and splashing water onto my face. I climbed into bed, flicking the lights off, hoping I could fall asleep. 

.·:*¨ ✘♚✘ ¨*:·.

I stared at the ceiling, my eyes tracing each blade of the fan repeatedly. I heard the fairly loud clattering and stopped. I propped myself up on my elbows, staring at the door. Then I heard it again. I got out of bed, clicking my tongue in frustration, thinking a staff member was loitering in the hallway.