𝟓𝟎

a/n: Lottie's outfit for the chapter is above!

☆═━ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐘━═☆

The fear of isolation was one denied by many. It was dangerous, trapping, and heartbreaking. It could only hurt when you are trapped in your own mind. Actually, it could kill.

Serena down her stairs, rubbing the back of her head. It was almost six in the morning before she stopped at the last two stairs, hearing shuffling from the kitchen. She held her breath, retreating upstairs with steady steps.

She was beyond scared. It couldn't have been Damon, he never hangs around the house, he just comes to wake her up and annoy her in peaceful mornings. She sent Ginger back to the adoption center months ago and Charlotte...she wouldn't come back.

Serena tiptoed to her bedroom. She picked up her phone from the nightstand and dialed Damon's number quickly before she heard footsteps on the staircase.

The brunette's breath was held in her throat before her phone stopped ringing and Damon, presumably, answered, "Damon...I think there's someone in my house."

"What? I can't hear you?"

She sucked in a deep breath, whispering, "There's someone in my house, Damon."

"Sorry...hold on?"

Serena shook her head, "Damon, I said—"

She stopped, hearing his voicemail, "Nope, still can't hear you. You want to know why? Because I'm not here right now. So leave a message at the beep!"

Serena pursed her lips together, hanging up before she picked up a hockey stick from under her bed, it didn't even belong to her but somehow she remembered it being there. She held it out as a form of defense before proceeding steadily out of her room.

The Bernard girl didn't even get to fight back when she felt someone's hand cover her mouth and suddenly she was struggling to breathe. Serena tried to push him—or her off of her but it was to no avail.

The brunette closed her eyes and the next time she opened them, she was screaming herself awake.

It was just a nightmare.

Serena tried to calm herself down, rubbing the sweat off her face with her hand before her eyes looked at the door. It was slightly open. Fear ran down her spine, she never leaves the door open.