⚜ Chapter Thirty: Kid ⚜

<< You're just a kid. >>

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

<< Two Hours Earlier >>

"Smee, can I trust you?"

Said scientist furrowed his brows at the question. The two were sitting in his office, [Name] in her chair with blood pumping out into a tub, a table in front of her, and Smee sitting across from her.

It would seem that [Name] still didn't fully trust him - which he understood, of course, but it still hurt. Then again, he had been told that the girl had been a spy for her Mama (that was weird to say, even in his head) ever since she was four. After that, she'd been exposed to nothing but adults who wanted to experiment on her. It was natural that she'd be suspicious of him.

He remembered when they had first met, when he had attempted to get her to stop digging her nails into her wrist. She'd flinched and looked absolutely terrified, but when he asked her why, all he got in return was "You're an adult". It was clear that she had some trust issues.

"Of course you can trust me," he assured. "I'm only here to help."

"Don't humor me," [Name] retorted irritatedly. "What proof do you have that you won't sell me out? How do I know that you're really a Minerva supporter?"

"Why are you asking me now?" Smee replied. In the beginning, [Name] would've flinched. But after a year in Lambda, she'd steeled her nerves, and learned not to react so obviously.

"I need to know."

"Well, you've seen Henry's message, right?" he asked. While [Name] showed no physical reaction, her silence was enough confirmation.

"What makes you say that?" she finally said. Smee shrugged.

"Well, I do have to monitor you from time to time," he admitted, "and I've noticed you clicking the key of your music box quite a bit. Oh, and if you didn't, you'd ask me who Henry was."

"Or I could've seen him in a dream," [Name] responded, fiddling with her bracelet. Smee hummed, learned on the table. 

"Tell me this, [Name]," he implored. "Why are you reading Henry's message every night?"

The (h/c)'s hand stiffened. She hadn't expected him to notice, especially since he wasn't supposed to monitor her - that was someone else's job. True be told, she had tried to control her dreams, but she wasn't able to. With nothing directly threatening her, all she was shown when she asked for help were demons - the wild kind - and the bloodiest moments of the war.

With a shudder, she remembered the horrible moment when she asked for help against the intelligent demons - [Name] had reasoned that they'd be a major obstacle they needed to defeat, considering that she'd seen them everywhere. What did her ancestors show her?

Archduke Leuvis. A creature with the body of a human, but clearly wasn't. He had stood at 320 cm (approximately 10'6), with pitch-black limbs and torso. His mask did nothing to hide the horror that he was. 

Leuvis had walked with the carelessness of a madman, cruising through corpses as if he were merely taking a stroll. The maniacal laugh when he sliced through her ancestor still haunted her to this day.