Come Back

For this chapter, listen to Ooh Child by MILCK.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Time seemed to stand still, and it felt as though the earth itself had stopped moving.

Genevieve couldn't think, couldn't breathe, couldn't move. She felt like she was dying over and over. 

She managed to stumble forward, her knees hitting the cold rock with a thud. Her brother lay there, still gasping for air, barely holding on. She pulled him into her lap, his head resting in the crook of her arm, her free hand clutching his cheek in desperation.

"Please, no...please...stay with me," she gasped, her lungs struggling to fill with air.

Blood had begun to pool in his mouth, dribbling down the side of his face. Felix locked eyes with her, gargling noises coming from his throat, as though he were trying to say something.

"Ei-Ei," he spluttered. "I-I-I..." but he never finished. His chest stopped rising, and the hand that had been clutching her arm fell limp. His eyes unfocused, and the blood stopped flowing as hard.

Genevieve searched his face frantically. "No no no no, please don't leave me!" she cried. "Come back, come back, please!" 

Tears began to well up in her eyes, until she could barely see. A choked sob left her throat, as she leaned her head down to touch his. No one dared move, or say anything. They didn't even know what to say. 

She tilted her head back towards the sky, and let loose a deafening scream. It filled the air around them, an indescribable sound, one of pure agony. 

A pulse of energy burst forth from her, flowing across the water, to the shore a mile away, disintegrating the trees. It sent the waves rolling back, leaving nothing behind but the rock upon which they stood, and the sand below.

 The sky turned gray. Thunder cracked and rain began to pour from the clouds, and still her scream continued. Soon enough she was soaked to the bone, the water dripping down her face, mixing with her tears. She sobbed and sobbed, until there wasn't anything left in her. 

As the rain continued to fall, she looked at the brother whom she had loved so dearly, and was now gone. Long ago, she had foreseen her future, and what would happen to her if she continued to hunt for her sister. But she had never seen this coming. She refused to believe that the visions were right, but now, staring into the face of yet another lost loved one, she knew in her heart, just how her story would end...and she was ready for it.