Chapter 41

We drove for what felt like an hour. I couldn't tell where the driver was taking us, but I knew it wasn't in the direction we wanted to go. He'd made many turns, going every which way. I knew he was trying to make sure we weren't followed, but with every turn it jolted my shoulder and I heard Jared groan.

I looked over at him, his face pale and twisted in pain. He needed that bullet out of him, and soon. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest and my mind kept going back to the night I'd found out about him. Now that he was sitting next to me on the verge of death, I couldn't imagine what I would have done if I'd followed my instinct.

We finally stopped and the driver got out, coming around to the back and opening the door. I got out first and offered my good hand to Jared, helping him out slowly.

"How far are we?"

"About twenty minutes, ma'am."

"Can you make it any faster? He needs help now."

The man nodded and we got into the back of another car, a limo this time.

I ushered Jared in first and got in after, making him lay flat on his back across the seat while I sat across from him.

"Doing okay?"

He just grunted in response. I knew he wasn't, but he wouldn't admit it. Apparently he couldn't really say anything at the moment.

After a few moments of painful silence he turned his head toward me.

"Shoulder." It was all he could say and I rolled my eyes at him.

"I'm in far better shape than you are right now. A silver bullet in my shoulder is nothing compared to the one in your abdomen. You need to stop worrying about me. I've told you multiple times, they're not after me."

"Then why have all the guns been aimed at you?" He asked with a painful hiss.

"The first was aimed at me to get to you. The second wasn't aimed at me, I just happened to be in the way," I pointed out. "And that first one I might add, wasn't aimed to kill."

"I had no way of knowing."

"Jared, do you really think I would just stand there and take a kill shot? I have some survival instincts. I would have done something."

"Not even I can outrun a bullet, Electra. If it went off there wouldn't be much you could do."

"But he was human, I can fight humans."

"There were three of them."

"I've fought old vampires and an Alpha. I can handle three humans."

"All trained like you were."

And that right there had been his first solid point.

"Just please don't jump in front of any more bullets for me," I whispered.

"As long as you promise the same."

I rolled my eyes again. I didn't think he understood that a shot to him anywhere with the ammunition hunters had could be lethal. To me, it's just a bullet. If I could save him by taking a bullet to the shoulder or anywhere else that wouldn't kill me, he better dang well believe that I'd do it. He wanted my promise though, so I once again do what I was best at and I lied to him.

"I promise I won't take any bullets for you."

"Your heart's racing." I knew what he was trying to say, that my heart was racing and it was an indication that I might be lying to him.

"I'd be concerned if it wasn't after everything we just went through."

"Fair point." A faint smile crossed his lips before the car hit a bump and he groaned in pain.