026: Half-Heart

starring: (seo) ye ji

"Appa! Appa! I want to ride that huge wheel!" The young Jiwoo rode the shoulders of her father's back. He laughed, fastening her daughter's legs on his shoulders. "Hang tight!" He dashed towards the Ferris wheel, the two bonding in loud laughter.

Her mother and siblings trailed behind them, buying and eating carnival treats. "I want to get on Appa too!" Jimin, the only son, wailed as he enviously eyed his younger sister.

The mother bought passes for the family. As they drew closer and closer towards the end of the line, the youngest continued to scream out of excitement.

Thankfully, the Ferris wheel carriages were large enough to fit a family of five. They flocked inside, laughing and fooling around. As the wheel turned, they rose higher and the view became clearer. It was a bright cloudy day, and the sky looked so beautiful that afternoon.

"Appa, the sky is so wide!" Jiwoo remarked, her eyes filled with wonder.

Her father looked at his wife with endearment. "That's how much I love your mother," They held hands and continued to gaze at each other's eyes, "Endlessly."

"Cheesy," their mother huffed but her husband leaned in to give her a kiss.

The eldest of the siblings, Yeji instinctively covered the eyes of her younger siblings. "No peeking!" she warned with closed eyes herself. Both Jimin and Jiwoo giggled.

Amused, their father ruffled his eldest daughter's hair. She then let go of her hands and permitted her younger siblings to continue enjoying the view. The whole family huddled into a huge embrace then erupted into laughter when Jimin farted suddenly.

The young Jiwoo smiled to herself, the love filling her small, fragile heart whole.

Buried beneath the thick blankets lied Jiwoo who hadn't left her room for days. She softly opened her puffy eyelids, still feeling heavy from all the tiresome crying for the past nights. She blankly stared at the ceiling then took a deep breath, trying to snap out of her current situation. She hated this state of vulnerability.

Jiwoo reached for the lowest drawer of her side table then opened it. Her hand scrambled down through the numerous books, letters, and papers until it reached the bottommost part. She pulled out an old photograph, the one of her and her father. She was closest to her father since she most resembled him. He was a handsome man, and she was his pretty mini-version.