Chapter Twenty-one

Silence is all that can be heard throughout the halls of the Sanctum as Stephen Strange sits within his chair, a book in hand. His trembling fingers ran over the ancient paper, gently tugging the corner of it over to reveal a fresh page over and over again. It was all he'd done since returning here a few weeks ago.

It was all he could find to do that would not allow his mind time to think of his mistakes. Of his stupid arrogance that seemed to somehow always end up hurting him and the people he cared about. He'd been here before. He got too arrogant as a doctor, ended up crashing his car and lost his job and Christine. Now he got too arrogant about how great things seemed to be going and ended up hurting both himself and Abi.

Oh Abi. He let his mind wander to her delicate face, the soft brunette hair and her pale complexion. How he missed her smile and the way her eyes lit up whenever she got something right. How he missed the way she would scrunch her nose before she laughed and how her voice always went up an octave when she was surprised. How he missed her.

Since that night at the compound he had tried his hardest to keep his mind from wandering to her for the fear that if he did he may just run straight back. As easy as that would be, he knew it would not be the right move. Neither for him nor for her. It was perhaps that exact thirst to run back to her that drew him to the books she had so desperately raved about when he had being training her. Reading their delicate pages, knowing her eyes had once trailed over the same meaningful words brought him some peace. Even if it did only last a few moments.

"Stephen Strange!"

Suddenly, the doors to the sanctum burst open as the bitter winter air invades its warm rooms. From behind the door emerges two figures that instantly dart forward to where Stephen sits in his chair. If he had not already known of their presence outside the sanctum than he may have being startled by their sudden appearance. Instead however, he sat calmly within his chair, not taking a moment away from his work out copy of 'Jane Eyre' to consider why they may be present. Although in his mind, he already knew exactly why.

"If you're here to yell at me, I think you're about a week or two late." Stephen grunts from
behind his book as the small figures of Tony and Steve come to a halt just in front of him. Tony's arms cross tightly over his chest, the heaviness of his breathing causing his nostrils to flare outwards. How could the man sit there so calm and smug after what he'd done?

"We need your help." Steve explains when he notices the fury within Tony's eyes. He wasn't even going to try and wait for it to fade before he initiated the conversation. It was pointless because it never would. Tony would only get more riled up and then explode so it was neat he did the talking. "Abi is in trouble."

The words have barely left Steve's mouth before Stephen slams the boom closed and tosses it to the side. His heart hammers in his chest, the colour draining from his face within seconds. "Is she okay?" he manages. It was a stupid question but the only one he could form. Of course she wasn't. Did he really think they'd come to him if it wasn't a last resort?

"What do you think?" snaps Tony who's eyes have not left Stephens the whole time. Tony could barely control the voice in his head that tempted him to show Strange just how not okay Abi was. "You broke her when you left. She hasn't eaten or slept and she won't even talk to any of us!" By the time his final word comes out, Tony had managed to make his way from where he stood a few feet from Strange's chair to being directly above him.

With a cloud over his eyes, Stephen stands up until he's at the same level as Tony with a deep breath. "You think that doesn't hurt me too?" he whispers as his eyes begin to sting. No. He was not going to cry. He was Doctor Stephen Strange. He was not going to cry. "It's killing me staying away. Do you know how many times I've found myself stood outside the compound, wanting nothing more than to come in and see her again?" Stephens voice trembles upon every word of truth that be speaks.

He had lost count of the number of times he'd returned to the compound. Once he had come so close to going in that he'd actually rang the doorbell but when he heard someone on the other side of the door he ran. How could he face her after what he'd said? After how he's hurt her. He knew he had. He'd seen it. Seen her sitting there with an absence behind her eyes that he knew he could not heal. Stephen had broken her. Just like Tony had said.

"Well that fixes things then doesn't it?" blurt out Tony sarcastically. "As long as you feel bad about it then she'll suddenly be better right?" he spits the words out like they're bitter upon his tongue.

Stephen shakes his head at Tony's bitter gaze before pushing past him and over to where the open bottle of whisky sits on the counter. "I've being trying to fix things, Tony." he mumbles whilst pulling the lid from the neck of the bottle and pouring himself a glass. His third glass of the day. He's never being much of a drinker but he found the rich liquid soothing recently. It was better to drown out his pain that face it. "I've being using the mind stone to check her future. To make sure I can't hurt her again."

There. He'd admitted it. Stephen had being breaking every rule of nature to check on her. At first it had started out as a one time thing but overtime he'd become so concerned that she was going to get hurt that he'd become addicted to it. Every day he'd use the mind stone to see millions of futures, futures of hers alone or their intwined. Of a life somewhere in another universe where he hasn't given up so easily. A life where she was safe and happy.

"Then why didn't you see this coming?" Tony says, his voice completely lacking any emotion as he glares upon the glass in Strange's hand. "Why didn't you protect her from Loki? Why didn't you tell me he was back?"

"I don't see how telling you he was back would've helped." Stephen snaps, slamming the half full glass down on the counter so hard that some liquid splashes out the sides.

"I'd have being prepared. I could have protected her better!" Tony's voice raises in volume with each step he takes closer to Stephen. "If you had told me she would still be here."

"Tony." Steve warns, placing a warning hand upon his friends shoulder only for it to be knocked straight off.

With each word that leaves Tony's mouth, Stephens muscles grow more tense, his eyes jammed shut against the anger that bubbles within him. Did Tony really think he didn't already blame himself for this? He hadn't yet checked her future today. He'd decided to read the book instead because nothing had happened until now so she's be fine. If he'd just looked when he should have he could have helped. He knew that. He knew and it was eating away at him so much that he was ready to break

"It's your fault Strange, all of it." exclaims Tony.

That was it.

"Get out." Stephen grunts, his head whipping upward as he flicks his wrist and the large doors that lead to the sanctum fly open. A cold gust of wind knocks against Tony and Steve who grimace at its bitterness.

Tony stares at Stephen through widened eyes full of shock. "So that's it, you're not going to help?" he asks him. But Tony had being so sure that he would. Stephen cared for Abi did he not? Of course he did, Tony had seen it. So why would he not help?

"Go willingly or I will gladly kick you out." warns Stephen before he pushes off the counter and marches across the room to where his chair is, glass still in hand.

Cautious of the rising conflict within the room, and aware that the time to help his friend was running out, Steve begins pulling Tony towards the now open doorway. "Let's go Tony." he suggests more forcefully than before, grasping his shoulder and pushing him away from Stephen.

Shrugging Steve's hand off his shoulder, Tony shakes his head in disappointment at Stephen before rolling his eyes and heading to the door "Thanks for nothing douchebag." He shouts over his shoulder before his figure disappears into the ever busy streets.

"You're the douchebag." mutters Stephen, slamming the door with a flick of his wrist before grasping his book in hand and heading deeper into the sanctum.

So much for a little peace for the day.