chapter 55

Me and dad pull up at the Avengers facility, Steve outside, probably questioning if his plan will work. Dad stops the car right in front of him and backs up a little, rolling the window down.

"Why the long face? Let me guess, he turned into a baby" dad asked as if it was obvious.

"Among other things, yeah. What are you doing here?"

"Hey" I call and Steve sees me, giving me a smile. I get out of the car and give Steve a hug. He gives me a bear hug.

"It's the EPR Paradox" dad said, ignoring Steve's question and getting out of the car "Instead of pushing Lang through time, you might've wound up... Pushing time through Lang. It's tricky, dangerous. Somebody could have cautioned you against it"

"You did" Steve said.

"Oh, did I?" dad asked sarcastically and I chuckled "Well, thank God I'm here. Regardless, I fixed it. A fully functioning time-space GPS" Steve smiled "I just want peace" dad made a peace sign "Turns out resentment is corrosive, and I hate it" dad leaned on his car.

"Me, too" Steve said, putting his hands in his pocket. There was a small pause and I sighed.

"We got a shot at getting these stones, but I gotta tell you my priorities. Bring back what we lost, I hope, yes. Keep what I found, I have to, at all costs" dad takes my hand and holds it in his "And maybe not die trying. Would be nice" dad took a step forward and my breath hitched in my throat. I saw dad's death playing in my head as if I was watching it in the cinema. Seeing Peter call out to him but he's too weak to answer, mum kissing his cheek in sadness and the funeral. It was playing in my head over and over again. I felt like crying.

"Sounds like a deal" dad and Steve shook hands and moved closer to the car, dad showing Steve the Captain America shield he had fixed "Tony, I don't know"

"Why? He made it for you. Plus, honestly, I have to get it out of the garage before Morgan takes it sledding" dad said and gave Steve the shield. My eyes started to water.

"Thank you, Tony" Steve said.

"Will you keep that a little quiet? Didn't bring one for the whole team. We are getting the whole team, yeah?" dad said and I turned away before the tears could roll down.

"We're working on that right now" Steve said. I quickly wiped away the tears.

"I... I have to go" I say and start walking away.

"Y/N?" Steve asked.

"I'm fine" I lie, walking a little faster.

"Y/N, what's wrong?" dad asked but I ignored him "Y/N!" he called but I ran away. I heard footsteps following me so I ran faster and turned a corner to see Scott.

"Y/N? Are you crying?" I push past him and run to my room.

I slam the door shut and cry, sitting in front of the door. I ball my eyes out but stop when someone gives me a hug. I look up and see Nat looking at me.

"What are you doing in here?" I ask her and she looks down.

"I came here to get the gloves you borrowed for training. You told me they were in your room when I texted" she says and I hug her tightly, crying even more now, thinking about her death "Let me guess, future stuff?" she asks and I nod my head. "I want to know vaguely what happens"

"I... Some people die. People I care about" I choke out.

"Y/N! Y/N! Please be in there" I hear dad call from the other side of the door.

"She's fine" Nat calls and moves me to the bed so she can open the door.

Dad, Steve and Scott come in, looking at me worried.

"Y/N! Oh, thank god. What happened? Why are you so upset?" dad asks and I cling onto him, holding him for dear life "Hey, sweetheart, I'm here. I wanna know what's bothering you" dad holds me tight and kisses my forehead sweetly.

"The future is what's wrong, why I'm so upset. What if I can't stop it? What if I can't stop the deaths that happen? What if I fail?" I say, crying into dad's chest.

"Deaths? Y/N, what are you talking about?" Steve asks and I look up at him.

"In this movie, people die. People who sacrificed their lives for the greater good. People who I care about. People who don't deserve the ending they got" I say and look down "I can't let that happen. But, what if it does? What if I can't save them? I don't know what I'd do. I can't lose them"

"Hey, sweetheart, if those people die, I would be happy knowing you at least tried" dad said and I looked at him. He rested his forehead on mine, how Bucky used to.

"I wouldn't" I say and Bruce comes in the room, looking at all of us.

"Hey, what's going on? I heard people running and shouting" Bruce asks and looks at me "Y/N? What's wrong? Why are you crying? What happened?" Bruce asks in a panic. Steve takes him outside my room and probably tells him what I said.

"Sweetheart, I want you to promise me that if those people die, you will move on and forgive yourself, no matter who dies"

"I can't promise you that. I'm sorry. I want to but I know I can't. But I'll do my best" I say and kiss his cheek. He wipes away my tears and kisses my forehead sweetly before pulling me into a hug. I hug him back and sniffle a bit as we pull away.

"You'll be alright" he says and takes me out of the room.

"Do you want something to eat?" Scott asks me and I look at him.

"Yeah, I'm starving" I say and Nat and Steve chuckle a little.

~~~~~

Me and Scott were sitting outside on the bench getting ready to eat. I pick up my taco and am about to take a bite when Peter's ship lands near us. My taco gets blown away as I look at Scott and see him holding the shell of his.

"No!" I yell and look at the ship in anger.

"What? What happened?" Scott asked and I looked at him.

"My taco! I was so hungry. Rocket, you owe me!" I yell and turn to Rocket, seeing him roll his eyes.

"Hey, Humie. Y/N. Where's big green?" Rocket asked as Nebula was walking towards us.

"The kitchen, I think" Scott replied "That's awesome" Scott said as Nebula was passing us.

"Rhodey, careful on re-entry. There's an idiot and Y/N in the landing zone" Nebula said to Rhodey and I prepared myself for the jump scare. Rhodey landed in front of us and still scared the shit out of me.

"Oh, God" Scott yelled and dropped the rest of his taco.

"Rhodey! Don't do that!" I yelled.

"What's up, Regular-Sized man? Sorry, Y/N" he said turning to me.

"You better be" I said as a joke. Bruce comes to us and hands us both a taco.

"Thanks. Do you want me to come?" I ask.

"No, it's alright, we got this" Bruce said.

"Okay. If you say so" I say, eat my taco and go inside to get something else to eat as it didn't fill me up very much.