Chapter 4

"Wow, I don't know what to say." Tessa's voice faltered. "I know. Now you know everything." I murmur, playing with my napkin. "Now I understand why you tried to keep it hidden. But doesn't it give you some peace, now you told me everything?" Tessa asks. "You know what would give me some peace? A man in my life." I chuckle, trying to ease the tension from all the negative thoughts.

"Maybe, I'll ask Tom if he knows someone suitable for you," Tessa answered quickly. "Don't you dare ask him for help, Tessa! You don't know Tom as I do." I snap, agitated. "Chill Sofia. I know you two don't get along well, but give him a chance, Sofia. He has changed." Tessa answered pleadingly. "Maybe, we'll see how he behaves at the reunion," I tell her firmly. "He will. I ordered him already. I'm happy that he asked me to join him." Tessa smiled brightly. "Me too." I smile.

"When I'm back from that weekend, I'm going to open up to others. I want someone in my life again. Maybe as a friend in the beginning, but it's a start right?" I ask her, surprised by my declaration. "It's about time, darling!" Tessa squealed joyfully. "Perhaps, but finding the right one is a lot harder than I thought," I explain to her. She eyes me curiously, a sheepish smile appearing on her beautiful face.

"I think I know the perfect man for you." Tessa smiled devilishly. "Now you make me curious." I chuckle. "You both have the same interests. He's good looking and kind-hearted, only a few years older than you." She tells me. "Alright? Who's he? Do I know him?" I ask her playfully. Tessa chuckles at my curious posture. "It's Vince." She answers loudly.

My smile faded away at her reply. "Are you insane? I will not hook up with Vince for god's sakes, Tessa!" I blurted. "Why not? You are both single? I haven't thought about him before, but you two would be a great couple!" Tessa exclaimed. "No, Tessa. I'm not doing this. He never showed me he's interested in me." I answer shortly in a whisper. I look at my watch and see we've only ten minutes to retreat to the institution.
"We need to go now," I order her firmly, tossing some money on the table. "But Sofia, just consider it. He would be a splendid match for you." She whines. "Stop Tessa, end of discussion. Let's head back." I blurted, irritated.

When I sat behind my desk, I felt a nagging feeling about earlier today. Tessa only tried to help me. I quickly take my phone and send a quick sorry for my behavior. It was inappropriate to react like that. Tessa's always been helpful with me from day one. But doesn't she sees I'm no match for Vince? He's a psychiatrist and I'm just a therapist. Yeah, he's good looking and respectful and rich, but I'm certain he's not interested in me like that. We work together and nothing more.

I answer the last email before I'm truly satisfied to stop my workday. All the emails and paperwork, or too much sometimes. I want to work more with the kids than filling administration files or answering emails all the time. Luckily, I've Monday and Friday the entire day conversations with the kids as observing and helping them in creative moments.

While ordering my desk into the normal state it needs to be, someone knocked on my door. "That's the first time I hear you knocking, silly." I chuckle. "I always knock." Vince appeared behind the door with a small smirk. "Oh, I'm sorry, thought you were Tessa." I excuse myself quickly, feeling a little embarrassed. "No problem. I can imagine Tessa for being very present. She has a hard time to temper her enthusiasm, but I see it as a strength." Vince answers politely. "Yes, I think so too," I answer shortly.

"Are you leaving now?" Vince questioned me curiously. "Actually, yes. You?" I ask him, friendly. "Yeah, not that someone is waiting for me at home, but I need to leave work eventually, right?" Vince shrugs, a little ashamed. "I'm sorry, Vince. It must be hard when you are married to her." I tell him apologetically. "Yeah, she wasn't worthy of my time or attention. But I can't turn back time, so it is what it is." He shrugs again.

"Love can be though, not worth the pain or attention you give in eventually," I explain to him softly with my eyes downcast. I feel his pain because I've been there before. I was still a child, but I felt love before. It's pure and devastatingly gorgeous in the beginning, but at the end it will crush you entirely.

"Yeah, you are right. But I still believe in love though." Vince smiled honestly. "I think genuine love isn't intended for everyone. It exists, but I don't believe everyone can find it." I explain to him without overthinking first. "Hm, maybe, but if you don't try you'll never know," Vince answered truthfully. "Maybe," I respond with nonchalance. "You're a tough one, Sofia Santos." Vince chuckled. "I know, but don't tell to anyone okay?" I giggle, feeling the tension ease with each second that goes by in his presence.

"Can I offer you dinner tonight? Or do you have other plans?" Vince asked hesitantly. I look up at him, seeing his dark blonde hair styled backward. His bright blue eyes eyeing me with optimism. It's cute seeing him this hesitant for the first time. "I'll join you because you asked it so nicely," I answer playfully. "Great. I promise I'll be on my best behavior." Vince responds playfully. He's looking handsome in his jeans and black dress shirt. "Of course, you have a responsibility to keep these institutions' name high. You're highest in rank here." I chuckle.

"I am, but I can't be compared with you. That's for sure." Vince winks playfully. "Of course not, I'm a woman and you're a man." I giggle. "No, I don't mean like that. You have a very strong personality. You're intelligent, you feel the children as they are. Everything that has to do with your work you speak passionate about it and you're beautiful inside and out." Vince exclaimed out of the blue.

I stop dead in my tracks for a moment, trying to hold my bearings by his confession. I thought he wanted to have dinner as friends. Swallowing hard, I pull on my coat. Turning on my heel, I face Vince with confidence. "Vince, I don't know this is a good idea," I tell him firmly. I can almost hear Tessa screaming in my head if she would see me rejecting his offer. She will be so mad at me if she knows about it. Vince eyes me in confusion.

"I'm sorry. I let myself go for a moment. It's the psychiatrist in me to analyze everyone before me. I just want dinner with you as friends. I didn't want to make you uncomfortable with my outburst. It's just the way I see you. It's the truth, hopefully, you see yourself the same way as others see you. You're a wonderful person and I know someone has hurt you badly. I can tell by the way you talk about love. It's obvious you're not ready for a relationship, but that doesn't mean we can't hang out as friends, right?" Vince asked me in understanding.

I think it through for a moment. He's right. I don't see myself like he or Tessa or others see me. Maybe it's time I open up to others again. I don't need to sleep with him right away. Getting to know each other a little better doesn't seem horrible, because I like Vince. He's very smart, handsome, and respectful. The perfect man for lot's of women.

But perfection is an illusion.