ten

Thanksgiving break...

Evie's View:

I walked down the isle in the local grocery store searching for things to make a homemade gravy.

My diet was mostly vegan despite my love for honey and using products with beeswax.

So usually on holidays I had to make certain dishes for myself since meat was always the main course.

"Do you think I should buy pies or just make them myself?" Addie asked walking beside me.

"You're asking the wrong person" I laughed looking over at her.

"You're right" she rolled her eyes. "Is there anything you don't make from scratch or isn't straight from the garden?"

"Pasta?" I suggested chuckling as I stopped the cart to grab a few potatoes to place in the basket.

"That's like one thing. Evie even your underwear is made from plants! Who cares?!" Addie exclaimed.

"I do! They're ethical and made from organic cotton grown locally, recycled poly and plant based dyes. Plus no extra plastic on packing or the packaging is compostable and will go back into the earth" I said proudly.

Addie stared back at me with a dumb founded look. "I have no idea what you just said or what any of that meant"

"It means she's smart" a voice from behind us said.

I turned to look over my shoulder and jumped a little from seeing Valentina standing near a display of avocados.

"Valentina" I said nervously turning my body to face her.

"Evie.." she smirked before looking back at Addie. "Shopping for thanksgiving dinner I assume?"

I nodded gripping my hands tighter onto the handle of the basket.

"She thinks you're hot so that's why she's not talking, you make her nervous" Addie said out loud calmly.

My eyes went wide and I pushed her shoulder roughly giving her a look saying to shut up.

"What? It's true. Your journal is in a shitty hiding spot and I'm trying to help you out" Addie shrugged walking away to go grab a sample nearby.

I sighed rubbing my temple turning back to Valentina.

"I'm sorry.. about her"

"It's fine" Valentina chuckled. "I already knew what you thought of me"

I raised an eyebrow wondering what she meant.

"You're not very subtle when checking me out Evie. You practically eye fuck me every time I come around"

My eyes widened again but I quickly gathered myself.

"I-I just think you always look nice is all. It's not everyday you see a woman in a 2,000 dollar pant suit"

Valentina squinted her eyes a bit at me. "Mhmm.. so what are your plans for thanksgiving?"

"Uh well usually I just get together with Addie's family since I don't have any around" I said quietly.

"Not even your parents?"

I looked down to the shiny white floor, "Um.. no. No they passed away when I was really little so I never knew them".

"Evie I'm sorry, I didn't know I probably shouldn't have even asked" Valentina apologized stepping closer.

"No it's fine, don't worry about it" I said looking back up at her half smiling.

"Well.. if anything changes you are always welcome to join the girls and I. We'll be having dinner at my parents house and it's just going to be us so, I'm sure the girls would love to see you" she said placing a hand on my shoulder.