twenty-three

During the rest of the week

During the rest of the week. That's how things were.

We found ourselves finding ways to hang out even when we didn't need to.

Whether it was after school or at my daycare. Somehow I'd even find myself offering to lock up on certain days just so we could stay and do exactly what we did in his car that night.

Jesse has never been so gentle with me. At least not in the way he was on that Monday night and the rest of this week as a whole.

On Friday, we turned in our first assignment together as partners and I'm surprised that we actually did well enough to earn a 96/100 in the grade book for Warren's class.

After school, we hung out at the daycare again. I've noticed that every time we meet up there he's always talking to Giovanni. This doesn't surprise me because they both have this cocky and know-it-all personality and I don't think either of them realizes just how similar they are to one another.

From what I've heard about Gio, he has it rough at home.

You wouldn't know it if you spent at least five minutes speaking to him because he's quite...charming to say the least.

Although with what's been going on with Jesse and me, I know he doesn't just go to the daycare to bother me. Unless we're alone, he doesn't speak to me unless Gio is there.

All the kids were eating lunch now. This was their last meal here before the parents started rolling in.

I was signing a kid out early, collecting a parents signature on the sign-in sheet as I looked over at Jesse who's sitting in a chair in the middle of the playmat, in the way that he usually is with his legs straddling the side of the chair as he leans down to talk to Gio who's staring up at him as he's sitting crisscrossed right across from him, leaning back on his hands.

Sometimes I wonder what they talk about because I swear I can see Jesse smile throughout each conversation.

I guess that's the Gio effect.

We hung out that night. I was closing up. Jesse was tired of eating the goldfish snacks and popcorn that we had here so he went out to go get food.

I was surprised that he came back with Chinese food. The daycare is a little far from our area so he drove a whole 20 minutes and back here just to get me the order that I got when he and his friends kept me that night.

It feels like that night was yesterday because I remember it well.

From what I understand of, whatever it is we are now—

Are we even friends?

We're certainly not dating.

I don't think Jesse really even knows what it takes to be in a relationship and neither do I.