7: In Which She Goes American Pie

*********************************************

“Janelle?” someone said from behind me.

After shoving a whole shelf of baby food into my trolley, the last thing I wanted to do was bump into someone I knew. Baby food was my guilty pleasure and it was always embarrassing when people I knew discovered that.

Reluctantly, I turned around, pasting a smile on my face.

“Luc?” I sputtered incredulously, nearly stepping back into the shelf and knocking down various brands of sanitary wear.

The silver-haired man flashed me a megawatt smile. “I thought it was you. How’ve you been?”

“I – I’ve been all right,” I croaked out, reddening. “You?”

“Perfect. Are you coming this week?”

I didn’t have to ask what he meant. Looking into his darkened eyes, I knew exactly what he meant. The double entendre was not lost on me.

Shaking my head quickly, I replied, “No.”

“Sure about that?”

“Yes, I am.”

“Well, my brother would be very –”

“Daddy! Anna won’t gimme back my Barbie!” a little girl screeched, running down the aisle toward us and propelling herself at Luc. “Make her give it!”

“Daddy?” I said loudly.

He gave me an apologetic look before extricating the girl from around his legs. “Marie, what did I tell you about running in stores, huh?”

Désolée, Papa.”

“Where’s Anna?”

“She ran off.”

“Tell her that Papa is calling her.”

“Okay.” She started away in a sprint.

“Don’t run,” Luc muttered. He turned his smouldering gaze back to me. “That was my daughter.”

“So I gathered,” I said dryly, glancing at his hand. “So where did you hide that last Friday?”

He looked down at the gold band around his wedding finger. “Janelle, half the people there are married. It isn’t a sin.”