The Possession of Katie Bell and Attempted Date Plans

Estella only caught sight of her grandfather four times over the next few weeks. He invited her to his office for a sit down to discuss the future, but nothing he's said makes sense. It didn't help the fact he wouldn't touch her, whether it be a hug or handshake, he avoided all touch. He was most certainly hiding something from her and Estella could tell it had something to do with his decaying hand, if that was a strong enough word for it.

Halfway through October came their first trip of the term to Hogsmeade. Estella had wondered whether these trips would still be allowed, given the increasingly tight security measures around the school, but was pleased to know that they were going ahead.

Estella awoke early on the morning of the trip, which was proving stormy, and spent the time leading up to breakfast finishing her Transfiguration essay.

Within an hour, Estella and Hermione set off to the Great Hall for breakfast, dressed in waterproof and warm clothing. Ron excitedly relayed a story of the events that transpired in the boys' dormitory.

"...and then there was another flash of light and I landed on the bed again!" Ron grinned, helping himself to sausages.

Neither Hermione nor Estella cracked a smile.

"Was this spell, by any chance, another one from that potion book of yours?" asked Hermione.

Harry frowned at her.

"Always jump to the worst conclusion, don't you?"

"So it was?" said Estella.

"Yeah, but so what?"

"So you just decided to try out an unknown, handwritten incantation and see what would happen?"

"What does it matter if it's handwritten?" said Harry, dodging the question.

"Casting a spell without knowing what it does is extremely dangerous, especially when you don't know what type of person wrote it," said Estella.

"Can't forget that it's not Ministry of Magic-approved," said Hermione. "And also," she added, as Harry and Ron rolled their eyes, "because I'm, Estella too though she doesn't want you to be mad at her, am starting to think this Prince character is a bit dodgy."

Both Harry and Ron shut her down at once.

"It was a laugh!" said Ron, upending a ketchup bottle over his sausages. "Just a laugh, that's all!"

"It could've done worse, Ron. I don't think you understand that," said Estella.

Dangling people upside down by the ankle?" said Hermione. "Who puts their time and energy into making up spells like that?"

"Fred and George," said Ron, shrugging, "it's their kind of thing. And, er-"

"My dad," said Harry.

"What?" said Ron and Hermione together.

"My dad used the spell," said Harry. "I-Lupin told me."

Estella knew that it was the spell his father had used on Snape.

"Okay, so he did use it," said Estella, "but he's not the only one. We've seen a bunch of people use it, just look at the Prophet. Dangling people in the air. Making them float along, asleep, helpless."

Harry stared at her and Ron came to his aid.

"That was different," he said robustly. "They were abusing it. Harry and his dad were just having a laugh. You don't like the Prince," he added, "because he's better than the two of you at Potions-"

"Oh, Ron, don't be stupid. I do pretty damn well without a book telling me what to do. It's stupid to experiment with spells when you don't know what they could do. For all you know that spell could've done a lot worse. As I said, it depends on the person who wrote it and neither of you knows who wrote it, meaning you don't know their intentions or the type of person they are. For all you know, it could've been a Dark spell or a spell that tickles you!" said Estella, annoyed.