TWELVE

JOHN HEARD THERE WAS A SECRET CHORD

I woke up to a text message. He had sent it an hour before I opened my eyes, but it still made me grin. Feeling excited and giddy first thing in the morning was so unusual that I paused before swiping on the message.

How long had it been before I'd woken up and not just rolled back over in apathy?

Paul McCartney
When's your birthday?

It wasn't like he'd sent me a 'good morning' or something of the sort, but knowing that he was thinking of me so early in the morning sent a rush of warm blood through my arms and fingers. I positively tingled.

soon

One word. I wasn't going to relieve this possible anxiety – the idea of him squirming over our kiss and the possibilities it strung along. . . I bit my lip in bliss. I liked knowing I made Paul McCartney nervous.

He typed back.

Paul McCartney
Not fair.

I took off my pyjamas and slid into my school uniform, all the while staring at my phone.

what?
are you planning on
getting me a present?

Paul McCartney
What if I am?

That struck a funny chord in my stomach; what did that entail? Lord, I didn't even want to think about it. Paul's mind was on another frequency.

hmmmm, tempting [wink emoji]

it's in october

I was downstairs now, pulling on my shoes. Mum had already left for work, obvious in the silence of the TV and strong smell of coffee. That relaxed me a bit; she was usually just as unbearable in the mornings as she was when she interrogated me during dinner.

I sat down on the couch facing the window and waited for Paul to reply, my fingers ready. Did he understand what this meant? October was only two weeks away. . . soon I would be eighteen and nothing could be held over my head anymore.

"Who's that?"

My head spun around to see Louis balancing himself on the couch behind me, trying to put on his shoes. His eyes were fixed on my screen, probably trying to read the name of the person I was messaging before I flipped over my phone.

"None of your business," I snapped, standing up.

Louis flashed a grin at me, elated he was winding me up. "Do you have a boyfriend?"