Chapter 08: Madam is Ill

Bark! Bark! Bark!

Shen Xi woke up from a deep sleep when she heard the barking of a dog. She turned her head and looked at her bedside. As expected, she saw Chu Wu sitting close by.

"Arf!" The first thing Shen Xi sees when she woke up was Chu Wu wagging his tail at her.

"Chu Wu, how'd you get in?" Shen Xi sat up in a daze. She felt a little off, and her head seemed heavy. Shen Xi took her phone from the bedside table to check the time and found that it was already 10:00 a.m. in the morning.

Jolting, she suddenly said out loud: "How come I've slept so long?"

Shen Xi rubbed her forehead and walked to the bathroom to wash her face. Afterward, she wore a big shawl and went downstairs with Chu Wu.

Mrs. Zhang, who had been cleaning the living room, saw the happy Chu Wu running downstairs, followed by Shen Xi. Nervous, she apologized: "Madam, did Chu Wu wake you up? I'm sorry I didn't keep an eye on him and accidentally let him run in."

"It's alright. I needed to get up anyway." Shen Xi replied with a smile.

"Madam, are you feeling unwell?" Noticing Shen Xi's lethargic behavior, Mrs. Zhang asked Shen Xi about her health.

"Maybe I drank too much and exposed myself to the cold wind yesterday. It's probably just a small cold." Shen Xi went to sit on the sofa, with Chu Wu running towards her and sitting next to her feet. With a smile, Shen Xi reached out and touched Chu Wu's head.

"Do you want to go to the hospital to check?" Mrs. Zhang asked.

"No, No, there's no need to go to that much trouble. Do we have any cold medicine? I'll just take a tablet and sleep some more." Shen Xi replied.

"Oh, yes, there's some powdered medicine. I'll go get it now." Mrs. Zhang went out of the living room and came back with a medicine box. Taking out the box of cold medicine, she put it in some water and then gave the cup to Shen Xi.

"Thank you." Shen Xi took a sip.

"Madam, I'll go cook you some porridge." Mrs. Zhang said, "People with colds usually don't have appetites, but you have to eat."

"Sorry for the trouble, Mrs. Zhang." Shen Xi thanked her with a smile.

"It's no trouble, no trouble. It's what I should be doing." Flattered, Mrs. Zhang waved her comments away and went into the kitchen to cook some porridge.

Because of her cold, Shen Xi had no strength. But she didn't want to sleep again, so Shen Xi simply nested on the sofa, drinking her medicine as she patted Chu Wu and watched the news together.

Meanwhile, Mrs. Zhang placed a pot on the stove and after the water boiled, she lowered the flame. While she waited for the porridge to cook, Mrs. Zhang was afraid that Shen Xi was getting hungry, so she brought out a few snacks for Shen Xi to eat.

"Mrs. Zhang, you're very considerate." Shen Xi couldn't help but say.

"Madam, you're being too kind. Isn't this what I should be doing?" Mrs. Zhang smiled.

"When did you start working here Mrs. Zhang?" Truthfully, Shen Xi knew that Mrs. Zhang came to work here a year ago. However, they haven't spent a lot of time together yet, so she pretended to not know.

"I've been here for about a year." As she answered Shen Xi's questions, Mrs. Zhang wiped the table with a rag.

"Do you like working here?"

"I'm used to it, and I like it. Mr. Su is nice and I get well-paid. I start at 9:00 a.m. and I can be home by dinner. I don't have long work hours and I can go home and tuck my children to bed at night." Mrs. Zhang's huge smile showed that she clearly liked her job.