xlii. The Leading Deceit

╔═══════════════╗

chapter forty-two( the last olympian )❝ the leading deceit! ❞

chapter forty-two
( the last olympian )
❝ the leading deceit!

╚═══════════════╝

infantwomanro
you know exactly why you're tagged in this chapter
and if you've forgotten, welp, you're about to get a huge reminder

I have a love-hate relationship with Miss Rachel Elizabeth Dare. She has pretty red hair, and she would be way better for Percy and he would be really happy with her, and she has good taste in music and advocates for good things and has some humour (I guess) ... but she also decided to fly right into a demigod battle with a helicopter and a sleeping driver. I wonder what went through her head, oh, what's a good way to get Percy's attention? Oh, I know! I'll fly right into the middle of a war-zone!

(Good job, Miss Rachel Elizabeth Dare, full points to you).

She just happened to be lucky enough that I knew the basics of a helicopter, considering it was one of my father's favourite choices in what his chariot turned into. Red Ferarri? Check. Schoolbus? Check. Million-Dollar-Gold-Helicopter? Double-check.

Percy clung on behind me, which was a strange change of scenarios. Usually he's the one riding the pegasus and I'm the one clinging on behind for dear life, but this time, I led Guido up towards the out of control helicopter with a grit of my teeth. I could hear Rachel screaming inside. For some reason, she hadn't fallen asleep, unlike the pilot slumped at the wheel beside her, pitching back and forth as the helicopter wobbled towards the side of an office building.

"Ideas?" Percy asked, his voice getting lost in the wind.

Grinding my teeth to push away the pain of my arm, I said, "You are taking Guido and getting out of here." I didn't mean to sound aggressive, this wasn't his fault, but I couldn't help it.

"What are you going to do?"

I'm going to save your idiotic friend, I wanted to say, but held back. Instead, I just urged Guido to go faster into a nosedive and cried out, "Duck!"

We passed so close to the rotors of the helicopter that the force of the blades rippled through our hair. Zipping along the side of the door, I swallowed my pain and reached out to grab the door. My fingers gripped the handle━

Guido's wing slammed against the side of the helicopter. He plummeted straight down with Percy on his back and I was left there, dangling from the aircraft with a terrible shoulder. (Why does this feel familiar━oh, right, that's because it is. Stupid St Louis Arch). I heard Percy shouting my name down below, but I just pulled myself up onto the steps. With my other arm, I gripped the top of the door, allowing for Rachel to push it open and pull me inside.