Chapter 25

That night, before they slept, Lu Chen spoke to Chang Ying about the money. They had already deposited 5,000 yuan in an account solely under Chang Ying's name, but there was still a little less than 500 yuan cash left since Lu Chen had used a little money to buy the prescribed medicine.

Lu Chen knew everything they got today was all thanks to Chang Ying's idea. Even though he was her husband, the money was hers. He was not shameless enough to ask her to give it to him as the family head.

Still, he hoped to talk to her about it. Before, this was a simple matter. He knew Chang Ying was a simple, open hearted girl but Feifei's earlier actions left him feeling reluctant. There were suddenly so many deeper meanings and strings attached to the wad of cash. His coldness and solemn aura of finality he wore earlier in front of his family was nowhere in sight.

He coughed and sat next to Chang Ying, stiff and straight as a pillar.  "Yingying...Chang Ying, I want to ask you for something."

Chang Ying stared at him. She blinked a few times, what was so serious that he was so stiff? Did the doctor say something else to him?

"What is it?"

Lu Chen, still stiff as a rod, Spiller out the words in one breath. "I was hoping you could give my mother some money to handle the house expenses. I think fifty yuan is enough. I hope you don't mind." He turned to face her. He face was still stiff but he slowly raise his hand and tentatively closed the distance till his bigger palm clasped over her hand. Lu cleared his throat and continued, "Just help me out a bit, it would put my mother's mind at ease for the next few months."

"What?" Chang Ying was taken aback. "Fifty yuan?"

He nodded. "It is a lot..."

"Wait," she raised her hand, "is this what you wanted to talk about?"

Lu Chen nodded again. 

Chang Ying looked at him. He was so stiff as if he was facing a trial. She shook her head. "Lu Chen, you don't have to hesitate about money matters. We are married. The money is for both our futures. I can't have a better life without including you, neither can you without me. But, is 50 yuan enough? I heard you family has a bit of debt. Why don't you take 200 yuan?"

Lu Chen immediately shook his head. "No."

"Why not? Don't tell me you are hesitating because you feel it is my money."

"No, I also wanted to talk to you about my other plan. I was thinking about something. I noticed you were looking around a lot today, at the shops and the prices. I know you might want to start your own business, that 5000 in the bank is good for seed money to startup." Lu Chen looked at her.

Chang Ying nodded. Lu Chen had read her mind exactly.

He continued, "I was also thinking of doing something small for the family to supplement our family income too. I got the idea from the hens you bought. I want to start a small poultry farm. My mother would take care of it. Grandpa is bored all day so he can help out too. We can sell the eggs to make some money."

"That's a great idea!" Chang Ying was glad Lu Chen was starting to think of ways to earn money outside of being under someone's employment. It was the first step to entrepreneurship.

Entrepreneurship was the bread and butter of success in this era.

She didn't know about original timeline Feifei considered her past life. And even in the tainted second timeline that Chang Ying considered her past life, she did not know if Lu Chen simply lived under Feifei's shadow or found his own success. But she knew that Lu Chen was a smart person, though he was a conservative and honest worker. As long as she could get him to start thinking outside his comfort zone, she was sure he could developed his own wings.