𝐈𝐈.𝐈𝐈

EXHIBITION

Darla walked around the Captain America exhibition. It was the first place that she went in D.C. She looked up to the projected image of Steve and smile. She continued to walk around the exhibition with a smile.

Steve's eyes flickered to the familiar blonde. His heart skipped a beat knowing that she was there. But she was just back in Brooklyn. He rubbed his eyes and looked back to the spot that he last saw the blonde, and she was gone.

He let out a heavy sigh, saddened by the idea of him seeing her. He was so sure. The man shook his head and continued to walk around, his baseball cap hiding him from the eyes of the others.

Darla had quickly left the exhibition once she noticed that Steve was there. She didn't want him to know that she was in D.C just yet. She wanted it to remain a secret until she was ready.

The blonde had made her way back to the SHIELD headquarters and smiled towards Fury, who greeted her at the doors.

"Darla Dyer." He chuckled and placed his hand on the small of her back to guide her to his office. "We're glad to have you here at SHIELD."

"Glad to be back." Darla smiled up to him.

"Will someone tell Captain Rogers to come to my office?" Fury said over the comms.

Darla's eyes widened slightly at the idea of seeing him so soon. Not even seconds later there was a knock at the door and Steve walked in.

"You wanted to see m- Darla?" Steve's eyes flickered to the girl. His heart skipped a beat as he watched her stand from the chair and turn to face him.

She wore her suit that he hadn't seen in years. Her blonde hair had grown and darkened ever so slightly.

"I think you two need to talk." Fury said. "Excuse me." He muttered walking out.

For the first time in seven years the voices had stopped with no form of alcohol. They just stopped the second she laid eyes on the man. She didn't understand why, but she didn't hate it.

Darla crossed her arms and looked up at the man. Her jaw was clenched and her eyes narrowed. She wasn't happy with the man in the slightest.

"Two years." She said snappily. "Two fucking years." She took a small step closer towards him, making Steve look down at the floor guiltily.

"I'm sorry." Steve whispered reaching his hand out for the girl, but she hit it away.

"I reached out to you, I texted you. I wrote letters to you incase you were still struggling with technology," She scoffed at the memory of her going out of her way to write letters for the man rather than texting, incase he still didn't understand it. "and I got nothing in return." Her eyes filled with tears. "Why?"

Steve hesitated on taking a step closer to the girl, but once she didn't move back he placed his hands on her biceps and pulled her into his chest.

She tried to push him away but he just held her tighter until she finally relaxed into him.

"I'm sorry Darla. I thought it was for the best."

Darla rested her head on his chest, listening to the faint beating of the mans heart. She took in his familiar scent of vanilla and pine wood. She had missed the way the man held her so tightly. She had missed the safety that he brought her.

"It wasn't for the best, Cap, it really wasn't." She whispered into his chest.

Steve rested his head on top of Darla's, his fingers tracing small patterns on the small of her back. He hadn't realised how much he truly missed the girl. He placed a light kiss on the top of the blondes head.

The girl had spiralled a lot over the past two years. She had more violent out bursts and the voices became louder and more persistent, which made her reach out to Tony a lot. He tried to do his research into the voices to help her, which she greatly appreciated.

"I'm sorry, I should have been there for you." Steve whispered. His fingers raked through her hair until she pulled away.

"Yeah, you should have been." She looked up to him with sad eyes. "Nat managed to stay in touch, so did Tony. Heck, I even received an email from Bruce and a few texts from Clint. Where were you?"

Steve brought his hand up to tuck the blondes hair behind her ear. She couldn't help but nuzzle into his palm. Almost forgetting everything.

"I made a mistake, a big one." He whispered, his thumb running over her cheek bone as he looked into her green eyes. "I'm sorry." Darla nodded, she knew better than to hold a grudge. "Where are you staying tonight?"

Darla shrugged,

"Fury said he was going to find me a place but he's also just disappeared." She chuckled.

"You can stay with me." He offered. "I wouldn't mind the company. Plus, I think we're over due a long catch up."

~

Steve had walked with Darla around the Washington Monument, her arm was linked with his. Her smiled was contagious and her laugh made his heart swell.

"So, how's college been treating you?" Steve questioned the girl. She looked up to him with a beaming smile.

"It's actually pretty fun. The works a lot but the parties are awesome." She laughed. The blonde rested her head on the mans bicep as they continued to walk. "It's beautiful here."

"Is this your first time in D.C?" Steve questioned curiously, his hand linking with the girls. Darla blushed at the contact but didn't say anything, instead she just hummed in response. "Tomorrow I'll give you a full tour. We can pretended that were proper tourists." He joked.

"I like the sound of that." She smiled up to him.