Twenty: Charlie the Six-Year-Old

"Is she your girlfriend?"

That's the first thing I hear when I walk out of the bathroom, the low rumble of the laundromat not doing a very good job of masking the words.

The question comes from Charlie, the little boy who's here with his mom washing clothes. I can tell it's him without even having to see the person asking the question. His sweet high pitched voice is distinct compared to the rest of the people who occupy the building at the moment. So I don't have to think too much about it. He didn't ask it very loudly but it quickly catches my attention.

I peek my head around the corner, peering from behind the wall to see Harry and Charlie sitting with their backs to me on a set of chairs. Harry's shoulders pull his white t-shirt tightly around his back, which rises up and down slowly with each breath. Charlie stares up at him, the raincoat he's wearing nearly two sizes too big, and waits for Harry's answer. Even though I've only heard a short snippet of the conversation I already have a clear interest in it. So I stop in my tracks, and stay hidden behind the wall near the bathroom.

Charlie was actually the one who interrupted our kiss on the floor. The small whispered "ew" that came from his mouth was the thing that took my attention away from Harry's. My eyes darted up and Harry leaned his head back to look at him upside down, and sure enough there was Charlie, the six year old boy, trying to figure out what we were doing on the floor.

After Harry and I scrambled slightly, straightening ourselves and standing up, Harry introduced himself to Charlie, sticking his hand out in front of him. Charlie took Harry's hand in his and stared straight at us telling us his name. His r sounded more like a w so it came out as "Chaw-ie", but we understood nonetheless.

I introduced myself to him as well and within seconds Harry and I had a new friend. Charlie quickly forgot the scene he walked into, not bothering to mention the whole kissing thing again, and instead was much more interested in our stolen laundry basket. He asked if he could have a ride and Harry told him yes, but on one condition, which Charlie didn't hesitate to agree to.

Not long after Charlie was struggling to push Harry across the room in the laundry basket, Harry's limbs hanging out the sides as he tried to squeeze in. Harry told Charlie he could have a turn if he successfully pushed him across the room. This was a difficult task considering how small Charlie is, but he was determined. After gaining a little momentum he was successful, which Harry was extremely impressed with.

I might have also helped him a little, but that's a secret between me and Charlie.

"Not officially so," I hear Harry's voice. "I haven't asked her."

"But do you wanna?" Charlie moves to his knees, scooting closer to Harry. His curiosity is extremely representative of mine at the moment, clearly anxious for the answer, and my heart begins to beat faster as I wait.

"Hmm," Harry hums and I feel my stomach do nearly a thousand flips. I'm nervous for what he's about to say and unsure if it will be what I want to hear or not. "Absolutely," he nods, smiling wider. "Yes. I would love if she was my girlfriend. I like who I am around her."

I gasp, but quickly cover my mouth, hoping I managed to do it in time so they don't realize I'm standing a few feet away. It seems to work because they don't turn around or show any other signs of realizing someone is listening in, which I'm thankful for. I'm not at all condoning snooping, in most cases it only leads to bad things, but I decide to make an exception in this case. I can't simply pretend I didn't hear anything and move on without wanting to know a little more.

Harry's honesty is so incredible to hear. The fact that it didn't take him that long to answer makes it even more incredible. It wasn't something he had to debate in his head, or really weigh out the pros and cons, he answered simply and straight to the point. Even though he isn't talking to me about it, but instead a six year old boy we've known for an hour, it makes my heart swell up to the point where I'm actually concerned it might explode. Actually, I think the fact the he is talking to a six year old boy about it makes it even better.