82

Warning: Mention of suicide

"I've always wanted a sister." Eleanor said enthusiastically as I sat with my so-called family at the breakfast table the next morning. I really didn't have an appetite and the mood was awkward. No one knew what to say apart from my five-year-old sister. "Ezra and Matteo doesn't know how to do my hair and mummy and daddy always does it too tight."

I tried offering Eleanor a small smile as she looked at me while filling her mouth with cereal. It wasn't her fault that my mother got her new daughter after abandoning me so I was trying my best to seem kind to this little girl.

"What house are you in at Hogwarts?" Eleanor asked and tilted her head. "Because mummy was in Hufflepuff and daddy was in Thunderbird at Ilvermorny."

"I uh–" I gulped. "I'm in Hufflepuff."

"I want to be in Hufflepuff." Eleanor continued with a bright smile on her face. "But Ezra says I'm a Slytherin because I always sneak into his room to steal paint. I like to pain and Ezra's an artist but he never sells it. Matteo says he's too much of a baby. I just think Ezra's shy."

Is she five or is she eight?

She doesn't sound like a five-year-old to me. She's definitely adorable and talks a lot. She seem excited. Because I'm here?

"El, maybe tone it down a notch?" Tanner asked, running his hand through his daughters hair, messing it up, which caused her to giggle and try and fix it. Her dad stood up and took his plate to the kitchen, leaving me at the table with Ezra, Eleanor and our mother.

Matteo went home last night and as far as I remember, he had work today but would come by the house afterwards.

"Are you not hungry, sweetheart?" my mother asked, causing me to look up. She sat at the opposite end of me. I simply shook my head, and Eleanor immediately reached over the table to grab the breakfast waffle that mother had cooked for me.

"I hope you don't mind." Eleanor said as she took a big bite of the waffle. "I really like waffles."

The sound of the doorbell filled the house and immediately, Ezra stood up, pushing his chair back. He ran a hand through his hair as he hurried out of the dining room to answer the door.

"Did you know–" Eleanor said with her mouth full of waffle. "Mummy chose my name. She named me after you. My middle name is Julie."

I looked at her at her confession and then I slowly looked to my mother. It hurt every time I was told something like that. Every time there was something that normally would show that my mother loved me. It hurt because if she truly did love me, why didn't she come after me? Why did she leave me with him for seventeen years?

"Uh– Julie." Ezra said as he entered the dining room again. "There's a friend for you. That– Nate I believe his name was."

My eyes widened a little but then I felt my heart flutter. Nate was here? Thank fucking god. I really needed to see someone right now that I was comfortable around. I excused myself as I stood up and walked out of the dining room, but my body came to a halt when I saw the look on his face.

His eyes were bloodshot and his cheeks were red and stained with tears. His eyes met mine and he sobbed as he nodded for me to follow him outside. I put on some shoes before I followed him out and closed the door behind me.

"Nate?" I asked as he walked down the steps before turning towards me again. "What's wrong?"

He breathed heavily as he ran his hands into his hair, looking everywhere but at me. Then he ran his hand over his mouth while he let out a cry.