VIII. Rivendell

"Mithrandir," greeted one of the Elves, his chestnut hair flowing behind him as he walked down the steps towards the gathered company. The short and bulky Dwarves were a stark contrast to the elegant and dignified Elves that resided in Rivendell.

"Ah, Lindir," Gandalf returned the greeting with a jovial expression.

"Lastannem i athrannedh i Vruinen, [We heard you had crossed into the Valley,]" Lindir spoke in his native tongue, his eyes briefly glancing over Athena, who looked away, before returning back to the wizard.

"Do you know what they're saying?" Kili asked her and she nodded at him in response, him dropping the subject as he knew that she'd tell them if anything serious were about to happen.

"I must speak with Lord Elrond," Gandalf stated, his tone much more serious than it was moments earlier.

"My Lord Elrond is not here."

"Not here? Where is he?"

Athena's relief was short-lived when the horn blared behind them, the sound of galloping horses coming closer and closer.

"Close ranks!" Thorin bellowed, the Dwarves and him huddling together with their weapons raised in defence at the charging Elves, Athena stepping back a little to stand beside Gandalf.

There was nowhere that she could hide amongst the Dwarves and being beside the wizard would only draw attention as well, the least she could do is not act as if she were threatened by their presence. The Elves circled the Dwarves on their horses only furthering their feeling of unsafety before the horses slowed to a stop, encasing the company within them.

"Gandalf!" Lord Elrond greeted from atop his white horse, his eyes flicking over to the woman beside him and lingering on her as the smile washed from his face.

"Lord Elrond," Gandalf called in response, the Lord of Rivendell's eyes returning to the wizard, "Mellon nín! Mo evínedh? [My friend! Where have you been?]"

"Farannem 'lamhoth i udul o charad, [We've been hunting a pack of Orcs that came up from the South.]" Lord Elrond responded as he gracefully slid off his horse and approached Gandalf. "Dagannem rim na Iant Vedui. [We slew a number near the Hidden Pass.]," he offered the wizard a hug, still adorned in his regal armour that he wore when he encountered the Orcs. "Strange for Orcs to come so close to our borders. Something or someone has drawn them near."

"Ah, that may have been us," the wizard admitted, gesturing over at the company while Elrond handed his sword to Lindir at the steps.

"Welcome Thorin, son of Thrain," Elrond welcomed the leader as he stepped forwards.

"I do not believe we have met."

"You have your grandfather's bearing. I knew Thror when he ruled under the mountain."

"Indeed? He made no mention of you," was Thorin's response, causing Athena to let out a soft sigh at the Dwarves' stubborn hatred.

"Nartho i noer, toltho i viruvor. Boe i annam vann a nethail vin. [Light the fires, bring forth the wine. We must feed our guests.]"

"What is he saying? Does he offer us insult?" Glóin roared as he shook his axe, her unable to contain the amusement on her face as the Dwarves began to rally together.

"He does not offer you insult, he offers you food," she decided to reassure, watching as they huddled together to briefly discuss the offer amongst themselves before turning back to their host.

"Ah, well. In that case, lead on."

"Gi nathlam hí, [You are welcome here,]" Lord Elrond softly spoke to Athena before heading up the stairs. She could not bring herself to look at him.