《 Chapter 34 》

Dedicated to unmask_reader. Thanks for the love you show this book.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Mrs Adeyemi said a short prayer immediately we sat down and food was served in fancy plates. She had prepared a local dish and I almost laughed out loud when I saw the look on the kids' faces especially that of the elder.

I honestly didn't know why Mrs Adeyemi had done that — she could have simply prepared something everyone could relate to  — however,  Uncle Afolabi and his wife seemed to be enjoying the meal.

As we ate — with the kids just playing around with the food. I was sure they would get something else to eat after — I heard Uncle Afolabi compliment his sister-in-law for her cooking prowess.

That brought a broad smile to Mrs Adeyemi's lips as she glowed with pride.  We ate silently only for the smaller boy whose name I have come to know as Avis, to say:
"Why does Beatrice look so much like dad?"

The world seemed to stop and stare for a while the moment those words left Avis' lips and everyone froze at that. The Amala I had successfully rolled with my fingers to put in my mouth, fell back to my plate as I  gaped at the small innocent boy who didn't know the weight of his words.

"That's true. Beatrice looks like Uncle Afolabi a lot." Iyanu supported, her face breaking into a big smile as she looked at me.

"Well," Uncle Afolabi cleared his truth, "I have always heard we all have a lookalike on earth. So. . . I guess I've found mine." He wriggled his brow and everyone laughed, now concentrating on their meal as Iyanu brought up another topic.

Meanwhile, I couldn't eat anymore.  I had suddenly lost my appetite as the only thing that filled my head was: Afolabi . . .she looks like dad. I was like a blind man whose eyes had finally been opened — perhaps,  Blind Bartimous's granddaughter.

Uncle Afolabi did look like me and my mother had said I was the photocopy of my father.  Was I now hallucinating? Seeing a father in every man I came across?

Dinner became a blur as I could only see lips moving but just couldn't hear any of the things they were saying. I couldn't even say a word as we cleared the table afterwards; I was stuck in my head. 

That night as I laid beside Iyanu and her sister on the bed, Avis' words echoed in my ears, ringing like a bell and I just couldn't help but toss around in discomfort.  Was I  overthinking this? It could be just a mere coincidence. 

I couldn't sleep so I picked my phone to speak with the only person that understood me. I dropped a message,  hoping he'd reply the next morning but Peter replied instantly to my surprise.

*I'll call you* he had sent.

I slowly got up from the bed and walked to the bathroom so I wouldn't disturb anyone. Peter's call came almost immediately and I poured out my heart to him.

"I sound stupid right?" I ended my talk with a question.

"Of course not. We need to find out if he is your father.  This might be your only chance to do so." Peter replied.

"So what do we do?" I asked quietly, now agitated with the thought that I might have found my father finally.

"I'll be there tomorrow. We'll engage him in a talk. Don't worry.  Go to bed. It's fine." Peter assured and I believed because it was Peter. 
☆ ☆ ☆

I was pacing around the verandah impatiently as I waited for Peter's arrival. He had not been specific about the exact time he would be coming over and I had expected that he would be here early but he wasn't and I was already restless.

I was sure I would head back inside the house and engage Uncle Afolabi in that talk of Peter didn't show up the next minute. 

The house was quiet save for the sound coming from the programme uncle Afolabi was watching in the sitting room.

Iyanu and the other females in the house had gone out that morning on an outing they tagged ladies corner. Of course, I had been invited but I had declined with the excuse of not feeling too good even when I was.

I sure couldn't leave when a hollow that needed filling was buried in my heart.

The realisation that Iyanu might be my cousin should Uncle Afolabi be my father made my tummy rumble in excitement.

However, I was one not to conclude until I was sure it was true and for this reason, I needed answers as quickly as possible.  I had wanted Peter by my side when I did that but now that he wasn't here, I was ready to go about it myself for curiosity was eating me up.

It was almost noon yet no sign of Peter.  I had done everything possible to whirl away time during my wait;  I had even joined in playing video games with Uncle Afolabi and the boys. It had been my first time doing such so I had lost countless times.

But it had been fun nevertheless and Uncle Afolabi had seemed to enjoy the game so much. It was for his sake I had kept playing even when I was exhausted and wanted nothing but to engage him in a serious talk.

I could still hear his voice as I sat on the verandah's pavement, wriggling my toes and staring at my phone, hoping for a call or text from Peter, as he gave comments to whatever show he was watching from the sitting room

The knock on the gate sent me flying past like a meteor and in less than a second, I had opened the gate and was now standing face to face with Peter who had an earphone hanging over his head.

The sight of Peter evaporated all anger I had felt towards him as my eyes roved around his body, checking him out even when he was dressed in nothing but an extra-large t-shirt and jeans — nothing special. I stepped aside timidly for him to come into the compound when I noticed he was staring at me too.

He drew me into a hug immediately he was inside and I melted in his arms, forgetting all my worries that instance. I breathed in the familiar scent and almost growled out in displeasure when he broke the hug.

His palm cupped the back of my head, as his eyes roamed about my face like there wassome puzzle on it. I stared back; staring at my reflection on his eyeballs.

"Where is he?" He broke the gaze and took a deep breath.

"Who?" It felt like I had been brainwashed.  I couldn't make sense out of anything anymore.

"Your father." He replied and I choked.

"Sorry," he bit his lips. "I mean. . .well. . .daughterly instinct never lies. I can bet he is the one." Peter scratched his head awkwardly whilst smiling shyly.

I stood on the tip of my toes and patted his head lovingly and his lips parted like he wanted to say something but like he decided against it, he held my hands instead,  concentrating on drawing circles on my palms.

"Where is he?" He reiterated after a while.

"He's inside. The sitting room." I informed and Peter nodded.

"Anybody else at home?" We approached the door and my heart was now beating in quick succession.