Chapter 14: Wolf In Sheep's Clothing

Vincent was back to being Vincent. With the addition of him being stitched up brand-new. Somehow, the distance he created between us felt more personal though. I spotted him once throughout the day. Other than that, I used his scent to sniff him out whenever he was around. I had even listened for the sound of his footsteps under the door a few times too.

He'd trapped himself in his office. I'd have been a fool to think he was avoiding me. But I'd have also been a fool to assume he was only catching up on days' worth of work. Not much had happened in the few days he'd been on bed rest. So, that wasn't an excuse.

But I didn't know what else to think. Anything was possible with him.

"She's not answering again. . ." I tuned out the dial tone ringing in my ear. The phone was tucked in between the side of my head and my shoulder. Flat on my back, I laid on the floor, with my eyes gawking up at the ceiling. My head was spinning. My feet were numbing. I couldn't tell if I was too hot or too cold. I felt like a mess.

Working Vincent's nerves all day had been my only source of entertainment prior to having a phone. But he wouldn't allow me near him. And he wouldn't allow himself near me for whatever reason. The games on my phone were unamusing too. All that was left to do was ring my mother for the third time this afternoon and hope she'd answer.

"It's your daughter. Mother, pick up the phone," I whined, pressing the call button again.

The first thing I did when I got my phone together, was call my mother. But she hadn't answered. I was starting to think she wouldn't answer at all. My mother didn't like answering to unknown numbers. It was a miracle if she did. So, I'd left her a voicemail and shot her a text, hoping that'd work. So far, nothing yet.

The last time I had talked to her was two weeks ago, when Claudia lent me her phone. I couldn't believe it was already October 30th. Damn, who would've thought I'd have been spending my Halloween in the mountains? Not that I had much planned anyways. But still. I'd been here so long; I forgot Halloween was a day that existed.

"Hello?"

"Mom!?" I shot up from my position on the floor, as soon as I processed her voice.

"Genesis!? Genesis! Thank goodness, I checked that voice message. I almost hung up and sent you to voicemail. Thought you were one of those spam calls or something again. Those people have been working my nerves. Just a bunch of pain in the asses!"

I laughed. "No, it's just me mom. I told you in my message that I got a new phone for now."

"Right, right, yeah"—I imagined her waving me off on the other side of the phone as she rushed those words out—"anyways, ugh, it's so good to hear my baby's voice again! I was actually starting to miss you." She sighed out.

She was probably shaking her head and clutching her chest too. I wouldn't have doubted if her eyes were closed as well. She'd always close her eyes when she sighed. It was part of her natural dramatics.

"You know, actually, this works perfectly too!" she said, suddenly.

"What?" I asked, folding my arms over my chest.

She couldn't see the confused expression on my face but I was sure she could hear it in the sound of my voice. It wasn't every day my mother was up to something. And whenever she was up to something, it was normally no good.

"I was just thinking about taking a trip up there to see you tomorrow. Now that we can get in contact with you again, it's like fate confirming I should. Maybe I'll drop by in the afternoon after work." By the time she was finished, my eyes were wide.