Oikawa Tooru - How Do You Say...?

AU: Band (kind of - not really) / a low-key songfic (based on If I Could Tell Her - Dear Evan Hansen Musical)

Requested (Heads up requester: I change it up just a tad...sorry)

Tags/ Warnings: GN! Reader

Word Count: 6k+

•──────⋅☾ ☽⋅──────•

But he kept it all inside his head / What he saw he left unsaid

And though he wanted to / He couldn't talk to you

He couldn't find the way / But he would always say...

•──────⋅☾ ☽⋅──────•

Your hand came down hard on Oikawa's shoulder — or at least as hard as a five-year-old could hit. "Don't be rude," you said.

Oikawa launched forward but caught himself before he fell. He turned and glared at you. "I'm not! He was being mean to you!"

You held the straps of the backpack tighter and held your head high, jutting out your chin, in the opposite direction as him. The both of you were waiting for Oikawa's mom to pick you up from school and the one time she ran a bit late, a boy in your class came up to talk to you, which was going well until the boy caught a glimpse of Oikawa's glare and quickly excused himself.

Oikawa's glare, which mainly consisted of scrunching his eyebrows and eyes while pursing his lips, had followed the boy until Oikawa could no longer see him. He had turned and smiled at you sweetly before he was met with a smack on his shoulder.

"He was talking about the new building he made out of bricks yesterday, Tooru!" You walked a little bit away from him and sat on the newly unoccupied bench, flooding your arms and glazing down at the sidewalk.

Oikawa looked at you. He knew that you weren't really mad at him and by the time his mom would come, this would be forgotten about and the conversation would move to whatever the two of you were going to do at his house. He hoped that it was watching the new episode of his favourite cartoon that just aired, but he'll probably just do whatever you suggested. It had always been hard for him to say no to you.

Carefully, he walked over to the bench and sat down beside you, not as close as he usually would, but close enough so that no one could sit in between the two of you.

"I wasn't talking about what said now," he grumbled, glaring to the ground. He bit his lip and clutched his hands into fists. "I heard him saying mean things about you during recess."

You paused and unfolded your arms. "What did he say?"

"Nothing important." Oikawa's voice hardened. "It doesn't matter. I told our teacher after he said it. That's why he wasn't at the play station today."