I : SEVEN

Jana Calmiken is no stranger to nightmares. Night after night she's tormented by her own unconscious. Whether it be visions of the Handler, the deep, slow, modulated breathing of the man she worked for in the Empire, or the victims of her crimes, the woman usually found herself jolting upright in a cold sweat after only a few hours of rest.

This time, however, it's a set of hands that shake her awake. Letting out a loud gasp, Jana bolts up, finding the Mandalorian crouching by her side as the images she had just experienced remain in her mind's eye. Mando only had one cot, so they emptied out a shelf and set up some blankets and a pillow for Jana. It worked fine, and she's just grateful to have a place to sleep.

"You were screaming," The Mandalorian quietly says, as though he doesn't want to scare the woman in front of him any more.

Jana lets out a breath, rubbing a hand over her forehead before letting her hands drop to her lap, "Yeah," She lowly mutters, her racing heart starting to calm, "Yeah, I'm sorry."

Both Mando's leather-gloved hands taking Jana's smaller ones. He seems to hesitate slightly, "What was it?"

Jana looks up at him, again trying to picture the face behind the mask, a concerned expression. She swallows a lump in her throat, "Everytime I close my eyes I see everyone I've ever shot down," The brunette pauses to take a breath, "But this time they had the blasters, I didn't. And they were coming after the Child," Jana looks around, "Where is he?"

"He's in the cockpit, sleeping," Mando answers, "You didn't wake him."

"Good," Jana says, her eyes stinging slightly with the threat of tears, "I'm sorry if I woke you."

"You didn't," The Mandalorian's voice is soft, and Jana can hear him take a shaky breath, "That dream, that'll never happen while I'm here, you know that right?" The woman tilts her head slightly, urging her partner to continue, "We haven't been with each other long but Jana..." Mando trails off, finding his words, "If anyone ever tried to hurt you, or take you, or anything, they'd have to deal with me. I'd take on the whole galaxy for you, and that-" Mando's breath hitches, "That terrifies me."

Taking in her partner's words, Jana's heart starts to race for a whole other reason, "I'm scared too. I'd do the same," She confesses.

The Mandalorian lifts one of Jana's hands to the left side of his chest, holding it there. Even though it's far beneath layers of Beskar and thick fabric, Jana swears she can feel the steady pace of his heart against her palm, "I'm with you, alright? No matter what."

Jana's voice is quiet, but the words are so loud in her mind, "No matter what," She repeats a moment before peeling the blanket off of her, "I'm not getting back to sleep," She utters, nodding towards the ladder that leads to the cockpit.

The Mandalorian follows her as she climbs up, the Child still sleeping soundly once they get there.

As Mando takes his seat, shutting off the auto-pilot, Jana takes it upon herself to admire the stars that surround them as they glide through space. The sight, though it's a very common one for the travelled-assassin, never gets old. Pockets of light and gas that burn brightly enough to illuminate their cockpit, some in the midst of their deaths, some just being born; Jana is fascinated.

She admires the view for a long time, and when a transmission comes through the Razor Crest's computer, it snaps her out of the trance-like state she had been in.

However, when she sees who is on the hologram, a bitter feeling settles in her stomach.

Greef Karga, whom the set of partners hadn't seen since Nevarro.