IX. Welcome

Bard had left them to gather the weapons they had paid for, Athena and Fili rejoining the others as they spoke quietly about the ending of their journey.

"Tomorrow begins the last days of autumn," Thorin reminded the five of them that had huddled together.

"Durin's Day falls morn after next. We must reach the mountain before then," Balin added on to Thorin's words.

"And if we do not? If we fail to find the hidden door before that time?" Kili asked, looking behind him to make sure Bard's children weren't listening in.

"Then this quest has been for nothing," Fili whispered after his brother.

"We cannot fail, so we will not fail," Athena reasoned. They were all desperate to have the quest work in their favour so they would do anything to ensure it ends in victory.

Their conversation came to an end when Bard returned, laying a thinly wrapped package on the table before unravelling the cloth and revealing what he had gathered for them to use as weapons. They were all hand-made, nothing like the Dwarves or Athena were used to. Meanwhile, Bilbo wasn't used to any weapon.

"What is this?" Thorin asked in contempt, holding up a harpoon attached to the end of a stick.

"Pike-hook. Made from an old harpoon."

"And this?" Kili asked, holding a large hammer in his hands.

"A crowbill, we call it, fashioned from a smithy's hammer. It's heavy in hand, I grant, but in defense of your life these will serve you better than none."

Athena held up a stick that had a blade on the end, it was dull but it would do the trick if she were to find herself in a sticky situation. As much as she appreciated the gesture, she knew that these would not be enough if they were to reclaim Erebor.

"We paid you for weapons. Iron-forged swords and axes!" Glóin loudly complained.

"It's a joke," Bofur cried before throwing his weapon to the table, the others following suit, everybody but Athena laying down the disheveled weapons.

"You won't find better outside the city armoury. All iron-forged weapons are held there under lock and key," Bard explained to the disappointed Dwarves.

"Thorin, why not take what's been offered and go? I've made do with less, so have you. I say we leave now," Balin reasoned with Thorin, knowing exactly what was going through his mind at the moment.

"You're not going anywhere," all eyes turned to Bard at his words.

"What did you say?" Dwalin asked, stepping towards him threateningly.

"There's spies watching this house and probably every dock and wharf in the town. You must wait till nightfall."

Upon the realisation that he was trying to help them rather than hinder them the Dwarves sat down once more, accepting his advice. He turned to leave the house, Athena stopping him when he was in the doorway by calling out his name.

"I just wanted to say thank you, for the weapons. Although it is different than what we are used to I understand that it was all you were able to conjure up, so for that I am grateful."

He nodded over at her in acknowledgement, sending her a small and gentle smile before he stepped out of the doorway. Athena now turned to Kili, furrowing her eyebrows as she watched him struggling with his injury.

"It's getting worse," she quietly spoke as she sat down beside him, resting her hands in her lap as he sent her a pained smile.

"I've had worse. I have no doubt it will pass," he tried to reassure, but his words did little to comfort her.