Chapter 10

We were in South Dakota, hiking the  mountains next to Mount Rushmore. "Is this entire state up hill? Where are we anyway?" Murphy asked/complained. "According to this map, we're in the black hills of South Dakota." Warren answered. "I miss the truck." Cass said. "I feel you sister." I agreed with Cass. "At least we're out of that damn horde." Warren said. "There's nothing to kill out here." 10k said. "That's fine by me." Warren responded. "We need to find a place to make camp soon. My dogs is getting tired." Doc said. "Mmhmm." Darren and Luke agreed. "Well there's supposed to be a little town nearby called Edgemont. I'll take a compass reading at this next ridge up here." Warren said. "Can't we just take a break?" Doc tried compromising. "A quick one." Warren said. "Oh my God. Look." Sandy said. We all looked to were she pointed. Mount Rushmore was spray painted to look like Zs. "Now who in the hell did that?" Warren questioned. "Some daredevil with a sick sense of humor." Luke replied. "Is that Mount Rushmore?" 10k asked. "This is why we can't have nice things." Murphy said. "Probably the same jackass that tagged the Liberty Bell." Doc said. "Liberty Bell?" Darren asked. "I'll tell you later." I replied.

   "I think it's awesome." 10k said. Doc hit him while Warren said "If I ever catch who did that, they're gonna get a whoopin'. Come on. Let's find that town. It's gonna get dark soon." "I thought we were taking a break." Murphy said. "Break time's over." Warren replied. We continued walking completely up hill. "We've been walking for hours. Admit it, Columbus, you're lost." Murphy said to Warren. "Give it a rest, Murphy. Warren knows where she's going. You know where you're going, right Warren?" Doc asked. "Well, we should've hit the town by now." Warren said. "And for the record, Columbus was lost when he discovered America." I said to Murphy. "Yeah, well look how that turned out." Murphy replied. "Hey check that out." Luke said pointing to a bunch of warehouses. "That's not a town." Murphy replied being his usual asshole self. "Well now being Doctor Brightside for the moment, maybe there's something useful inside." Doc said. "Hey let's be careful. We're in South Dakota. And knowing our luck we'll have like radioactive Zs around here." I joked causing some to chuckle. "Ellie's right. Well about having Zs around not the radioactive part." Warren said.

   We walked toward the middle of the warehouses. "Oh, just like home." Murphy said sarcastically. "You know what, this actually might be a safe place for us to get some rest and load up on some supplies." Warren said. "I could use an hours sleep." I said. "Hey. Doc, get the door." Warren said. Doc went to the door and tried to open it. "Why do they still lock doors? Luckily I have a skeleton key." Doc said while pulling out his crowbar and prying the door open. We all walked in, doing in different directions to check for Zs. "Well being Doctor Darkside, we are not gonna find much food or ammo in here." Doc said after looking around. "Yeah, if we wanted industrial pipes, this would be the place to be." Warren said agreeing with Doc. "I don't like this." I said to Warren. "Oh, look." Murphy said grabbing a jug off of a shelf. "Hey, hey, hold on. You can't just drink that. What do you think this is the local piggly wiggly? That could be some kind of you know industrial type water that'll rot your insides." Doc said to Murphy. "Spare me the details." Murphy said while drinking the water. "Shh, over there." I whispered. "Take cover. Come on." Warren whispered motioning for us to go behind a wall. We almost had the z going away until Murphy farted. "Sorry, it got away from me." He whispered. Making the z come towards us. "Man, if I die because you farted I'm taking you with me." I said to Murphy. Then the z popped out at us and Doc piked it. "What in the living hell? It's glowing." Doc said. "Don't touch it!" I yelled causing all attention to be on me. "Back in my biology glass we studied what happens to bacteria when exposed to high levels of radiation. It glowed just like that. And we're in South Dakota, so ha I was right Warren. Even though I shouldn't be happy about that." I said trailing off at the end.

   Everyone stared at me for a second before more Zs popped out. "He's got friends." Warren said before shooting one then her gun was out of bullets. Just then two people with hazmat suits busted in. "Don't touch them!" The man said. Before shooting four of them. One went for 10k. "Back away from the Zs! It's not safe!" The other one yelled before shooting it in the brains. Warren pointed her machete at one of the Zs. "No! Don't touch them!" The man yelled again. "Are they contagious?" Doc asked. "Radioactive." The man answered. "Radioactive? How is that possible?" Warren asked. "I'll show you." The man said then lead us to a nuclear power plant.