Truth Stays Within

Lily's POV

I can't believe the nerve of that boy! 

Sometimes I forget how stubborn and self-centered he was. Its a shame his Quidditch talent and brilliant mind is matched with his extended ego. Severus had to deal with it for 5 years. Now Hermione was feeling the pain. Oh its so lucky how smart she was, otherwise she would have cracked at James's behalf.

As I dragged her outside, I felt a sudden sense of relief hit me the further we walked from the common room.

As soon as we hit a dead end, Hermione turned to face me and asked, "Who are you?"

Oh no...

"What do you mean? I'm Ruby."

Had she caught on? It looked like she has. I just said she was really smart. Of course she would have caught on. James's stubborn attitude must have triggered it. No new student would be so demanding to force a secret out of someone like that. Plus, there have been so many incidents where one of those idiots nearly slipped up with names. Like how hard was it to remember 4 names?

Hermione crossed her arms, "I want you to tell me who you are. Who you really are."

So it seemed she did see right through us. Or well through them. I don't feel like I have done anything to make her think this way. I felt I have done my job well. Stayed silent, lived on the down-low, kept to myself mostly. She must be questioning me because I would be the only one out of the 5 willing to tell her the truth. She should have tried Peter. That boy looked like he would give up any second.

"I..." I stuttered, making Hermione narrow her eyes at me. "I am Ruby. I don't know what you're on about. What do you mean who I really am?"

"I don't think you guys are being very truthful."

"Me? I am truthful!"

"Oh you may be. I am not too sure about them. Every time they talk, they sound like they are about to crack up. Like they are hiding something. Of course, everyone has something they want to hide. But I feel like I am missing the bigger picture here."

"You're not missing anything!" I said fiercely. "I am telling you the truth!"

Hermione huffed and then studied me for a bit before saying, "I still don't believe you. I'm sorry. I seriously think there is something you guys aren't telling me."

"If you don't believe me, you can ask Professor Dumbledore," I said, glad to think up this improvisation. "He knows everything about us."

"Well I would but obviously he is too busy."

"Busy with what? You-Know-Who?"

"Obviously. I mean he is the one person Voldemort fears. What with defending Harry as well when he was nearly expelled in the summer. And now he has to do double the work with the Order of the Phoe-"

She stopped herself, clamping her mouth shut with her hands and knocking the back of her head on the wall in frustration. She had almost given in.

"Order of the what?" I asked. "What is Dumbledore working for?"

Hermione shook her head. I felt like, even though Hermione liked to talk, I wouldn't be able to get anything else out of her. So I tried a different tactic.

"What did you say about Harry getting expelled?"

Hermione shook her head again. I wasn't going away empty-handed. Although I wouldn't admit it to the others, I also wanted to know what was going on. And so I resorted to the only remaining legal tactic I could think of. A compromise.